School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 New fleet management program? What do you use?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  10:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We are considering changing fleet management programs. We are looking at IH for starters, but intial cost to start is sort of out of budget limits. I looks like a decent program though.

We are looking for input on what you guys use, pros, cons.

Thanks in advance,
BJ

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BJ, What do you use for routing software? How big is the fleet? Buses and non buses?

We use Versatrans for routing, and in the shop Fleetvision works well for us. We have about 300 vehicles and another 50 pieces of numbered equipment.

Seems to be fairly easy to use, covers parts deliveries, inventory, fuel, workorders, mechanic's time, scheduled maintenance, and does reports pretty good. We used the program when it was called FleetMax before Versatrans bought it. I think the costs may slide with the fleet size, and whether or not you use the rest of their suite of products.

Edited by - Mechan1c on 04/08/2013 12:08:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  1:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use our napa service program to keep track, when we had the dealership we used ADP. ADP is about $300 a month but not bus friendly. The trial of dolphin and fleet maintenance pro was great but the cost is high. Don't bother with the trial, when it expires, your screwed. Like $5000 for multiple license,it's terrible. You got anyone who is a wiz at MS Excell they can make you one?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  2:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a fleet of about 300 units including white fleet. We currently use FleetPro 2000 as part of our software suite from Edulog. I do not recommend it - Edulog is more interested in GPS/routing than supporting fleet management. We are going to go look at a nearby school district that is using http://www.rtafleet.com/school-bus.html and see if it will work for us.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  2:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Currently we are using Mitchell on Demand and their management program. We have 25 school buses and 20 support vehicles in our white fleet. We have a local business license and can take in outside work, but plan on discontinuing this service. We picked Mitchell since they had medium duty truck info at the time we went with online service info. Cost cutting is the intial idea behind this, but I don't see it being a positive move unless we get away from Mitchell on Demand all together. Then we will have to replace with another info system since our fleet is so diversified with different model cars and trucks. Hondas, toyotas, Nissans, Chev, Ford, Dodges.
From 1986 service truck to 2007 Thomas with Cummins, IH too, but they are not usually a problem on service info at all.

We are just floating ideas, and figured you guys would have some input that would be extremely valuable for us :)

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  2:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wolf, does NAPA require you to be a NAPA service center to use the program you have?

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  6:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about ShopKey from Snap-On? I think smaller operations could use it to track repairs easy enough its $110 a month tho.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  03:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used RTA for about 10 years in the public school system with about 100 vehicles,school buses, maintenance vehicles,and cars. It worked very well for our fleet. I'm now at a technology center with only 6 buses, 5 vans and some maintenance equipment and I miss my RTA.
Go to Top of Page

turbine

United States
49 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  11:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what its worth we have been using the Dolphin system for about 6 years. Shop invoices / Parts tracking / fuel tracking. Its been easy for the mechanics to use. And the support is good
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  1:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it's called Napa TRACS. We have a parts store and a service center for cars. I use the invoicing, make my own repair orders, and look up parts, trac service records that part is great. Not much bus help on the service info. MOD5 basic specs and things unless you pay extra. My service information is very diverse, not through Napa. We buy our own tools and diagnostic equipment. Shop has a Genesys LOL.
quote:
Originally posted by BJ Henderson

Wolf, does NAPA require you to be a NAPA service center to use the program you have?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  1:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That doesn't sound bad for 1400. I actually liked the program but the boss called about it and they wanted 5 grand. Probably because we wanted it on several machines and networked.
quote:
Originally posted by pusd

We bought Dolphin Fleet for about $1400.00, and there is no annual fees. Also works with the Zonar program for tracking mileage and creating work orders.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

CanUC2

4 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  5:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CanUC2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fleet of 275 Buses 250 white fleet and 200 Police cars, We use Dossier by http://www.arsenault.com/ for over 15 years. Direct fit for gasboy also.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  03:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
115 buses 125 trucks 30 staff cars 130 tractors @ schools. We use FleetFocus (expensive) and Fuelmaster for our fueling. We went live in 1998 and have been satisfied ever since.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  07:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

That doesn't sound bad for 1400. I actually liked the program but the boss called about it and they wanted 5 grand. Probably because we wanted it on several machines and networked.
quote:

We bought Dolphin Fleet for about $1400.00, and there is no annual fees. Also works with the Zonar program for tracking mileage and creating work orders.

So how does this work from NAPA? Will it keep track of each unit separately? I am just tracking my 17 buses using Google Docs. I use the spread sheet part so it's just like writing it down on paper except the boss can have access to it any time he wants because it's on Google's cloud. If I am looking for a certain item in the history all I do it search the page for a key word, say like "transmission". Pretty simple but I'm a simple man. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  08:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the link. http://www.napatracs.com/NapaTracs/products_overview.aspx

Yes you can track each vehicle individually by job, part, or repair order history. It has a recommended service feature that lets you type in date or mileage for next service, brake jobs, etc. This comes with the service center franchise. Same guy owns it all so we do our Nix Bus repairs through the service center. I don't know the costs of getting the software without being a service center. Maybe if you buy tons of parts they might be more friendly priced. LOL Let me know if anyone signs up. I get $50 they tell me. I'll buy the beer.
Your napa store can hook you up with a pro-link parts only account free. You can save your vehicles there with vin. I use it for crossing part numbers, and the MOD5 Lite for looking up torque and tune up specs.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 04/10/2013 08:19:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  08:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting Wolf, I'll keep you posted as to what I do.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

oldbusguy

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  08:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stay away from IH Diamond Connection! IH does not support the program anymore letter G-99-9303-A April 1,2013
Navistar Parts announces the termination of direct management and oversight of the
OnCommand Maintenance & Inventory Management program. In an effort to focus
resources on more pressing initiatives, Navistar has elected to discontinue the resale of
this third party software, and has terminated its agreement with FleetSoft, the provider of
the Maintenance & Inventory Management software, effective 12/01/2012. Navistar will
continue to recognize FleetSoft as a preferred supplier of maintenance software and it will
continue to be available to dealers and their customers through FleetSoft channels
Go to Top of Page

Mike S

1 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  4:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike S's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thinking about Dolphin Fleet Management software.
Anybody using Servicefinder?
Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2013 :  04:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. We are looking at our alternatives, but without having any general automotive info supplier, I don't know if we would be better off with anything else. We are still looking, we are in the middle of one of those "storms" here, problems with multiple vehicles, so when this settles down, we will try to figure out what we are going to do.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  09:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how long ago did you purchase the dolphin software? i just got a quote and it was a lot higher
quote:

Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  06:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

We have a fleet of about 300 units including white fleet. We currently use FleetPro 2000 as part of our software suite from Edulog. I do not recommend it - Edulog is more interested in GPS/routing than supporting fleet management. We are going to go look at a nearby school district that is using http://www.rtafleet.com/school-bus.html and see if it will work for us.

Edulog is completely redoing FleetPro in a modern format (finally). It is supposed to take the best parts of the other management programs and go beyond them in capabilities/features. Rollout is in about 6 months (meaning 12 months, of course...) Can you tell we spoke with a sales rep?

If anyone is interested let me know - we will be checking it out on rollout as we are pretty much married to Edulog with their routing/active GPS/etc. software.

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  07:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not let your students make a program in Microsoft Excel? Have a contest,who can make the best program. MS Office is not too expensive.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  11:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like more integration than a spreadsheet can provide - polling our fuel computer for current mileages comes to mind. Also, I'd like a robust database...

Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  4:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Access would be a closer fit than Excel (it's a database program). I would imagine that, if you have Office on your computer, that would be included if you work in a school or business environment. It's on all computers at the HS I work at.

The problem with Access is that it's much more complicated than Excel. I don't remember the few things I did learn with it 3 years ago....
Go to Top of Page

jerickson@wayne.k12.ga.us

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  05:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerickson@wayne.k12.ga.us's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have been using Dolphin Fleet since 2006 and it has worked very well for our fleet of 75 Buses. We have the multi-user license and our database is centralized. I would highly recommend it.

James Erickson
Ase Bus Technician
Wayne County Bus Shop
Jesup, Ga
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000