New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  07:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

The spam on here is getting annoying, and it's not just in this "professional garage" section it's all over the place. The admin are doing a great job by trying to limit the spam, but it's going to start becoming a full-time job on here, that they shouldn't have to do!

We need to help the moderators and admin here with this stuff. I read a tip about installing a security question where you would have to answer a series of common questions to pass through to post each question or reply on the board. It could be as simple as "Name a bus body" and the correct answer could be any bus body (Thomas,bluebird, wayne, superior, etc.), and they would all be right. A spy bot wouldn't know this, but we would.

Any tips or ideas from other members?

This is our forum!

Andrew Bienhaus

23 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  10:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Bienhaus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Turn on the requirement for an email check, before registration is completed. (I don't think you do that now, do you?)

Enable the "report a post" feature, to help mods find the posts as they pop up. (report as spam, nuke member)

There are some other options, but most forums are bot proof, these are likely real poeople posting. If you do enough to discourage them, they'll go somewhere else.

Manual approval of new members with some questions to answer, also slows down almost all spammers...
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  2:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another nice practice I've seen is to post a picture of something and ask what it is. For example, picture of a fish, it asks, "Name the object pictured. Four letters, starts with F." Easy for legitimate people, hard for robots!
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  9:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree. I personally like the manual approval with an email confirmation. The spam is just a growing nuisance.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  05:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's at the point that we have to sift through the spam to get to the good stuff!

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 04/08/2013 05:29:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Bienhaus

23 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  06:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Bienhaus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Posting spam, should result in immediate account deletion.

All of the forums I have managed, have a manual approval of new members. Sometimes it means a slight wait, but if you have a few moderators that get an email when a new member applies, it's usually pretty quick, all things considered.

On our DSM Forum, we event went so far as to require real names, and not accept anonymous email accounts (no hotmail), but that's pretty extereme. (we were fighting people posting stolen parts at the time)

If new member questions asked about the types of buses/egines, and where you work on them, that might be enough to weed them out.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  07:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arm a few more active members with admin rights.... there are a few guys here that check this forum every morning I'd bet. They could keep each forum clean. No, not me....lol.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Bienhaus

23 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  08:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Bienhaus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup, that's another way.
(I'm too new, to know how many you have now)
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  08:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E-mail confirmation works best. You can ban the IP of the spammer and report them to their ISP. I don't want to admin either but a couple trusted people could be good for cutting down double posts, spam and threads in the wrong place. Some sticky post would be great for common solutions we all repeat again and again. i.e. "aux brake lamp on" or "my international makes oil"

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Bienhaus

23 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  08:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Bienhaus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...for example, Sukromos' account is still active. :-)
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  3:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great idea, Wolf. Perhaps even a separate section of the forum, "knowledge base," containing threads with a summary on a given issue and known solutions/things to check.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  08:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys. I have noticed more spam hitting my e-mail box than usual. It would be wise to check NO on allowing members to e-mail you. I have traced some of the IPs and most are from Argentina. They are sending people to fake sites posing as Yahoo, Ebay, Paypal, etc. Always check the header from e-mails to see if it is legit.

Here is a good article. It explains a little better than I can. http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/03/06/despite-its-efforts-to-fix-vulnerabilities-yahoos-mail-users-continue-reporting-hacking-incidents/

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  2:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our school district has been targeted by phishers who ask people to "verify their passwords" with official looking emails. Then, when they get one, they use the account to send out massive amoutns of spam, and ISPs block emails from EVERYONE in our domain.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  7:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to remove it when I see it but I do not look at the forum everyday. I have contacted administration at school bus fleet and they are aware and trying to do what they can. We'll keep at it. Thanks for the tips.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  04:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Barker

I have been trying to remove it when I see it but I do not look at the forum everyday. I have contacted administration at school bus fleet and they are aware and trying to do what they can. We'll keep at it. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks Brad!

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  6:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^ How ironic.

Partsman, perhaps your school should look into using Microsoft for email. Mine used to have their own email server that was an epic failure before sourcing it out to MS. We're a school of 1100 students and maybe 150-ish staff members and the email is provided for free (any educational institution can get it for free) using our domain (so all email addresses are @ our website). No spam, downtime is rare and brief.... It's Office 365 so people can use Word, PowerPoint, etc. within their browsers anywhere, it's available on smartphones, etc. Something that we actually like from MS. Google does the same thing, I forget why we chose MS though.

Although we outsource email, we're keeping data in-house... none of that "cloud" nonsense. We like having full control of the data and the hard drives physically with us and not in some datacenter with everyone else's stuff.

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 05/05/2013 6:56:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  05:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google works great too. We use the cloud and it's fine. They have multiple physical locations where data is backed up. I am sure MS has a similar structure.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  09:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure our CIS department would find a simple solution such as that to be out of the question, and the union would have to get involved...

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  10:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Thanks for your understanding as we work to delete the spam posts. I check the forums Monday through Friday and delete the spam posts as I see them. If you're a regular visitor to the forums and you're interested in helping us to combat the spam, please contact me at kelly.roher@bobit.com.

Sincerely,
Kelly Roher
SBF Managing Editor
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  05:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Here is a suggestion for the spam problem, on the iATN mechanics forums you have to help mechanics with questions on at least 2 occasions before you can ask for help. They also have an excellent program for downloading wave forms,pictures and screenshots which is easy to use. I realize a lot of our mechanics stumble onto this site and need help now mabe we can find a middle ground.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  07:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any say in how the forum is run, I only try to keep the spam off. That being said, I would be against a forum like you are talking about, Tigger2. There could be some tightening up of the questions to get an account but I don't know if the Snitz Forums allows those changes. I would say, as most thing are these days, the forum will have to be rebuilt or undergo a major change at some point. So that is probably when the spam problem will get much better. I hope Thomasbus24 and I have made a difference since we have been doing this. I have noticed, over the last few days, the pressure from spammers has been higher than normal.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  10:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So we have seen, I must say you have been doing a great job removing it in a timley manner. I thought I would put in my nickle ( inflation you know )
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  10:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're working to implement some fixes that will prevent the spam and are actively deleting it. Thank you for your patience and suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa P

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  10:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa P's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As one of the non-mechanics who uses this forum, I would definitely have to Google answers to any mechanically-inclined CAPTCHA questions. I'm not super active on the forums (and mostly use it to educate myself on what's going on in the world of bus garages), but I do really enjoy using them and find them to be very helpful. So, selfishly, my vote would be against having that kind of system.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  11:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This appears to be an malicious attack on SBF. You guys should get a pro involved before it's too late. Somebody got their butt hurt and is taking revenge.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  11:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like new members have to be approved now...hope I am reading that correctly. Hang in there folks, once we get all the ones already in the system knocked out, the storm should be over!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000