New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  09:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm tired of having to spend $110 at the dealer every time a mechanic forgets to do (or doesn't perform exactly correctly) the N-R-N-R-N-D-N dance on one of our 2500's on transmission services, and the computer sets a hard code. Do any of you have experience with Allison's software? Do I need to buy DOC, or just the Fleet versions (I also have some 3000's)? Finally, do I need to buy a Nexiq (or some other) adapter, or can I use one of our Inline 5's to connect?

Thanks!

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  1:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can get DOC for fleets around 650.00 from Allison or your local Allison authorized rebuilder. our soft ware does all the electronic Allisons. You will need a vehicle interface like a Nexiq usb link to hook to your bus.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  1:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regular DOC is showing for $495, "Universal Allison DOC® (Allison DOC® For Fleets (1000/2000 Series™)" is showing for $160, and "Universal Allison DOC® (Allison DOC® For Fleets (3000/4000 Series™)" is also showing for $160 on Noregon's website. Wondering if I need the extra functionality of the full version.

No joy using DOC with my Cummins interface?

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  05:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The only way to get DOC with programming is to attend the Allison training program and be certified. The fleet version does very well and will let you do most all of the trouble shooting. The Nexiq works well with all of the other software like Cummins, Cat, Wabco, Bendix, Freightliner, Allison, Navistar, (at least my older version) no compatability issues yet. I run mine hardwired to the vehicle, some have had problems with the Blue Tooth and compatibility.
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  12:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"...or can I use one of our Inline 5's to connect?"

We had very limited luck trying to use the Inline 5 adapter on late model buses (2009-2012). Our Inline 6 has been working very good.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  07:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need TCM Reflash and log-in and pw to allison's server to download the calibrations. Allison DOC is good though I'm still running 9.0. They have a palm version too if you have one of those antiques around.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  09:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't need calibrations - really just limited diagnostic capabilities to eliminate simple stuff like life monitors or body-side issues. No one in our shop is an automatic transmission-brained person. I'm getting my IT tech to finish the install of DOC, as he didn't give me admin privileges on the laptop I'm putting it on. Then I'll see whether I can get my Inline 5 to work.

If I need to purchase a Nexiq, I see ToolTopia.com has one for $689. Does that sound like a good deal, or should I wait (and wait, and wait) for my Snap-On guy to get me a quote?

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  09:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

If I need to purchase a Nexiq, I see ToolTopia.com has one for $689. Does that sound like a good deal, or should I wait (and wait, and wait) for my Snap-On guy to get me a quote?

Snap on got me for $720. The inline 5 should work with the new version firmware.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  1:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Positive - won't have to buy another expensive tool!
Negative - have to check firmware on all of my Inline 5's - the joy of updating...

Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  2:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I updated the firmware on one of my Inline 5s. Was able to connect up with a 3000 series trans on one of my 2003's. Went to connect to the '09 2500 trans and am getting an error: "Unable to connect to the 1000/2000 Product Families (4th Generation.) Allison DOC was unable to set up dynamic data." However, I can see raw data with the Data Bus Viewer, so I know I'm connecting - any ideas? Is this because I'm using the Inline 5?

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  11:58:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They don't list the Inline5 in their support. http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp/151/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=5 I was mistaken it seems. I can tell you the Nexiq usb works though with 9.0.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  9:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got a Nexiq Pro-Link IQ. So far, its talked to everything we've thrown at it including engines not even on the list. The software does not appear to expire like OEM's.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  1:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be ordering a Nexiq as soon as I get purchase approval from my supervisor. Thanks for the help!

Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  3:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got my Nexiq USB-Link today. Set it up with bluetooth and got the oil life reset and the DTC cleared. All is well in the world.

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  06:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

Got my Nexiq USB-Link today. Set it up with bluetooth and got the oil life reset and the DTC cleared. All is well in the world.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  12:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought that the Allison "Worlds" were the 30000 series.... ;)

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000