General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 Hours of Service
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

macher

9 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  05:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit macher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm new to the forum and can't find any info on hours of service for school bus and/transit drivers.

I work at a college in Philly and we have fixed bus routes around the campus and we also do 'extra' trips like transport faculty, staff and students from campus to local destinations around the Philly area.

I was talking to our NEW manager because the extra trips in get overtime have declined. He said under the Federal law 395.5 a driver can't drive more than 10 hours following 8 consecutive hours off duty. I'm a shop steward so have the right to talk to management. Prior to new manager this wasn't an issue.

I informed him that shouldn't apply to school bus drivers or transit drivers. I said it's 15 hours total.

Any clarity on this.

macher

Edited by - macher on 03/28/2013 06:43:59 AM

macher

9 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  05:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit macher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  11:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats true for Massachusetts and i'm pretty sure its a federal law. 10 hours driving and 8 hours of not driving. Years ago when we drove buses from Oaklahoma to Massachusetts, thats what we had to follow. We could drive 10 consecutive hours followed by an 8 hours of not driving and had to keep track of it in a log book.

School Bus M8
Go to Top of Page

macher

9 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  05:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit macher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Former School Bus M8

Thats true for Massachusetts and i'm pretty sure its a federal law. 10 hours driving and 8 hours of not driving. Years ago when we drove buses from Oaklahoma to Massachusetts, thats what we had to follow. We could drive 10 consecutive hours followed by an 8 hours of not driving and had to keep track of it in a log book.

We don't drive long distance. We drive a fixed route like mass transit.

I happened to call the APTA and the operations and safety person there told me the 10 hours driving doesn't apply to transit. As an example SEPTA bus drivers here in Philly can work 16 hours.

Edited by - macher on 03/30/2013 05:48:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  10:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's nuts! Why would you want to do that? Isn't it exhausting? Unless there's some sort of severe logistical issue that cannot be avoided or mechanical failure or whatever, I don't see any good in driving for so many hours consecutively, being half in the bag, and risking safety.
Go to Top of Page

macher

9 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  11:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit macher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Thomas EF

That's nuts! Why would you want to do that? Isn't it exhausting? Unless there's some sort of severe logistical issue that cannot be avoided or mechanical failure or whatever, I don't see any good in driving for so many hours consecutively, being half in the bag, and risking safety.

Whether it's nuts or not is irrelevant.
Go to Top of Page

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2013 :  01:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read that law and I understand what you mean. I interpret it as you can only drive 10 consecutive hours, then have to take an 8 hour break. Part 2 of the law sounds to me like you can only drive 10 hours within a 15 hour period, then u must take 8 hours off. The law seems as though it applies to all passenger motor carriers. It sounds like SEPTA is the equivelent to Massachusetts, 'Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority'(MBTA) aka the T. I'm not sure how the law applies to them to but my buddy drives a bus for them and I can also send him an email and he can maybe clarify it somewhat.

Also this Wednsday we have a safety meeting and the Massachusetts DTE will be there. They know all the local and federal laws regarding motor vehicle passenger laws. If you want I can ask them and get back to you Wednesday.

Now you got me curious about it.

School Bus M8

Edited by - Former School Bus M8 on 03/31/2013 02:04:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

macher

9 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  05:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit macher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just read that law and I understand what you mean. I interpret it as you can only drive 10 consecutive hours, then have to take an 8 hour break. Part 2 of the law sounds to me like you can only drive 10 hours within a 15 hour period, then u must take 8 hours off. The law seems as though it applies to all passenger motor carriers. It sounds like SEPTA is the equivelent to Massachusetts, 'Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority'(MBTA) aka the T. I'm not sure how the law applies to them to but my buddy drives a bus for them and I can also send him an email and he can maybe clarify it somewhat.

Also this Wednsday we have a safety meeting and the Massachusetts DTE will be there. They know all the local and federal laws regarding motor vehicle passenger laws. If you want I can ask them and get back to you Wednesday.

Thanks I really appreciate it. I know people who drive for SEPTA and work double shifts.

I work for a college transit and need to know about this.
Go to Top of Page

macher

9 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  02:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit macher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bump. What did you find out?
Go to Top of Page

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  10:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macher

quote:

Oh Crap! Had a death at our work and just totally forgot about it. The DTE guy gave us his number so I promise i'll call him Wednesday,ask him and get back to you as soon as I talk to him. Can't believe I forgot about it. My apologies but i'll find out.

School Bus M8
Go to Top of Page

macher

9 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  11:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit macher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by macher

quote:

Oh Crap! Had a death at our work and just totally forgot about it. The DTE guy gave us his number so I promise i'll call him Wednesday,ask him and get back to you as soon as I talk to him. Can't believe I forgot about it. My apologies but i'll find out.

Hi now problem. I got some info but would appreciate if you could get your info too. This is what I got.

Transit/bus drivers are subject to the 10 hour driving/15 hour rule, passenger motor vehicles. I know many people who drive for SEPTA who work 15 hours a day. I don't work for SEPTA but work for a university transit system so it's the same kind of work. Since the new manager took over over time has been cut alot. His reason is because of the 10 hour driving rule. His thinking is in our 8 hour shift we are driving for 8 hours therefore since we have only 2 hours left for OT he doesn't schedule extra trips anymore because the extra trips would always be more than the 10 hours driving which would include our 8 hour run.

I found out his thinking is wrong. I talked to a DOT emforcement officer. First as transit drivers who drive a fixed route we don't drive for 8 hours within our 8 hour run. There's breaks between run plus we get a 1/2 hour break. The enforcement officer said you have to take breaks, layovers etc into account. So then since we don't drive 8 hours within our 8 hour shift then the 15 hour rule comes into affect.

I gave him my example of my shift. I work 6AM- 2:30PM doing a fixed route around campus. I have about 12 runs. In between runs I get a 5-10 minute 'layover' until next run and I also get a 1/2 break around the middle of my shift. So I'm not driving 8 hours within my 8 hour shift. (SEPTA drivers don't drive 8 hours either in a 8 hour shift, they get 'layovers' between run too).

On the extra trips which are local charters such as picking up a group on campus and taking them to a local destination there is a layover between dropping them off and picking them up to take them back to campus. Example, I pick up a group at 4PM take them to a destination and arrive and destination at 4:30. They return time is 7PM. So there's a 2 1/2 hour layover there.

This is a pretty good example of what our job is. Fixed transit route on regular straight time then for overtime these extra trips. Again new manager has cut out alot of these extra trips because of the 10 hour DRIVING rule.

The enforcement officer said that the 15 hour rule would apply because as transit drivers you're not driving continuously and/ driving 8 hours straight non stop. So in my case I would be eligible to work without violation until 9PM and in between . My start time is 6AM so 15 hours is 9PM. He then said the law requires an 8 rest after 15 hours.

I was under the impression that transit drivers were excempt. He said that's not true but transit agencies have been trying to get excempt. He said the reason for transit such as SEPTA can work 15 hours is not because they are excempt but because because of the amount of driving they drive within their shift.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000