Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 93 thomas all star Tach not working
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swhite832

2 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  10:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit swhite832's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The motor is a Cummins. I assume its a 93 model. The tach is not working. I do not believe it is a ground issue because the guage jumps a bit when the key is turned on. All the other guages work. There is a lone bare wire coming out of a harness towards the front of the motor that looked like it would have extended down to the crankshaft balancer(it is short now with but similar debris wrapped around hub of fan). There is nothing down there that looks like a crank shaft position sensor. I did find at least one bolt that was loose on the front of the motor with oil pouring out of it. There are no charging problems.
Question
Does this motor have a cps?
Is it located at the crankshaft balancer?
If not, where is it located?
Is it possible it came loose and now is gone, therefore not seeing it?

Thanks for any help given.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  02:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never had an All Star, but did have the MVP-EF and several pushers all on Hendrickson/Thomas chassis. On all, the tach ran off of the alternator. There was a wire from the alternator just for that purpose. I'd check there first, make sure everything is tightly in place...that was usually my problem.

If this is an Oshkosh chassis, then somebody else will need to help!
Go to Top of Page

swhite832

2 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  06:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit swhite832's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank You sir. I will check it out.
Go to Top of Page

beserkur

12 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  1:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit beserkur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on a Cummins it should be at rear of the block,driver's side-in between cyl.5 + 6
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000