3 to a seat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webegone

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  04:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How often and under what circumstances do you transport students 3 to a seat?

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  10:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have about 260 buses running every day with 3 to a seat. Even high school route buses are full to capacity. The state of Illinois keeps cutting school trasportation funding, so every year its less buses and more kids.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  6:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In order to legally accommodate three passengers to a seat, each student must be out of the aisle and fully "compartmentalized" in that seat (sitting properly, facing forward, etc.).

If this was not the case, in the unfortunate event of an accident, there would be a huge potential for liability with regard to any injuries sustained by students not sitting properly in the seats.
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  9:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 3 to a seat always amazes me, particularly with middle/high school kids. One solution to this is the 42" wide seats that are available with the Lion, I sat with another adult on that and was impressed at the difference just 3 inches makes. However, that is something that I don't think we will see with any of the "Big 3" bus builders unless more operators require 102" wide school buses.

Kids these days just aren't the same size they were back in the 50s/60s when the seat rules were created!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000