New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  3:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an Allison 2500 behind a CAT C7 in a 06 FS-65 with 70K that’s giving me issues. Bus wouldn’t shift into reverse and temp went up to 275. It had a stored code for a pressure solenoid stuck off. Once it cooled down it was shifting forward and reverse. Checked fluid, fluid was a little low and discolored, so we drained and refilled with fresh fluid and changed the red filter. The filter magnet had an alarming amount of metal particles on it. Cleaned it all up and went on a test drive, bus was shifting ok but still not great. Dropped pan, replaced internal filter, cleaned out some more metal flecks, changed the external filter again and refilled tranny. Shifting is much smoother now and no codes, but a few issues still remain. When shifting from N to D the rpms drop and idles rough, take your foot off the brake and bus starts to take off on its own (even up hill). Sit in traffic and the trans temp rises, sit for too long and it goes up to 275, but once the bus is back in motion it drops back down. So, what lies ahead for this bus? Are there other things I should be looking for/testing to troubleshoot my problem. I’m in New England and the daytime temps have been in the 30-40’s and the bus is now running without a winterfront and my water temp is where it should be, so why is my trans temp climbing so high? I’ve got several 03-05's with the same AT with higher mileage and they’ve been trouble free so this one is puzzling me. Any ideas?

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  4:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buster, Do you remember the codes? Did you have a P0960? There's an issue with the internal harness in the 1000 and 2000 series that will set off a pressure control solenoid code. I've seen it in 3 of my 2008 CE's. For some reason I can't get it to link. If you have a decent Allison rep, have him send you SIL# 24-1k2k-09. Otherwise I can scan it and send it to your e-mail.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000