Blue Bird propane buses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Big John

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  1:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who out there in the bus world is currently running the newer Bluebird with the propane engine? How is it working out for you? We are a small school district looking at purchasing some of these buses but would really like to hear from some of you guys that have already purchased some of these to see how its working out.

Thanks-

Big John

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  2:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't have the newest incarnation with the Ford V10 but have the older 8.1 Chevy. The Ford is still injected just like the Chevy though. We are a very small district too and love our propane bus. Lots of dollars saved on fuel and maintenance. I don't think there is anyone here that has any yet but I might be wrong. I have an email of a fellow in TX that has been running propane buses for years and I think they have some of the new Fords. If you want me to send the contact information I can.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  3:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The school district in Bend, OR is running over 50 units and they love them. We're looking into them at our district and were told to speak with them about how good they are. Contact their transportation department for details.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Bill Porter

4 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  10:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Porter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our school district has several older Blue Bird busses running on propane with no major problems. If they are well tuned, they will start well in the colder weather. We have one 2008 Blue Bird Vision with factory propane. It has 80,000km (50,000mi) and runs very well> This unit has lots of power, however it seems to take forever to fuel up unlike the conversion models. The downside is they appear to be about $10,000 more in our market. That buys a lot of fuel and repairs.
Bill
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  1:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have several GM and Ford. Overall, they are doing very well for us so far.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  06:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Porter

This unit has lots of power, however it seems to take forever to fuel up unlike the conversion models.

You need to make sure your fueling station has a "high differential" pump. Ours is pumping just a shade under what the diesel pump puts out. The problem, so I am told, is because there is a fuel pump in the tank on these buses. It causes the pressure difference to be higher. I'm not sure how all of that science works.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  07:37:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Propane tank pressure is temperature dependant. When the vehicle fuel tank and the bulk storage tank are the same temperature there is no pressure "differential" and pumping propane form storage tank to vehicle tank can be done with ease....Things can slow way down however when the vehicle tank is much warmer, resulting in high pressure, and bulk storage tank is colder, resulting in low pressure.
When we had propane buses, we had to be sure to not get in the situation of parking a bus that needed fuel in a heated garage and expect to back it out and fuel it in very cold outside temperatures.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 03/12/2013 07:38:43 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000