Question for colder places
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  06:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I get a lot of complaints about wiper icing this time of yr, so far using spray deicer and a good slap against window works...Does anyone use or heard of a wiper vibrator to help clean or dislodge ice from wiper blades, I was recently told there was such a device.?.?
I know there are heated wiper blades available,and heard they were quite pricy....to replace so just curious what others do or don't do to address this winter issue?

Edited by - slippert on 02/22/2013 06:46:19 AM

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  07:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wiper shakers;
www.vipwheels.com

We get them through our IC dealer in Minnesota

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 02/22/2013 07:54:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  08:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

wiper shakers;
www.vipwheels.com

We get them through our IC dealer in Minnesota

Do you have a part # thru IC? or just something your dealer found and stocks, wonder if my local dealer could get them or call your dealer?... How much do they cost? do they work well and hold up good?

Edited by - slippert on 02/22/2013 09:02:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  09:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No number through IC......check the dealer list on the website

Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  11:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

No number through IC......check the dealer list on the website

Yeah, already talked to them, but thanks for the info... so far you are the only person I can find that had heard of them... Can't find anyone around hear that has..did peak the interest of a couple of salesmen when I mentioned them,lol..

Do they work good for u?

Edited by - slippert on 02/22/2013 11:32:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  12:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if they manages to make it into the marketplace, but there had been devices like sunvisors for the exterior of your windshield that had elastic that wrapped around your mirrors. They would keep snow and ice off the windshield and wipers. I'm curious as to how much districts spend on such devices and chemicals and scrapers. A short metal overhang that would at least cover the hood and entry doors of buses may not be all that cost prohibitive, especially when weighing out the advantages.
Go to Top of Page

overbyja

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  8:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen these at our local JX Peterbuilt dealer as well. They actually have a working display demo to try. I don't recall what the brand is though.

Go to Top of Page

tlbc

9 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  03:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit tlbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The part no. is SKR-002. They are made by vehicle improvement products, in Antioch IL. There web site is www.vipwheels.com.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  08:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About how much do these things run?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  08:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The gal I talked to at VIP said they were $99.98 a set, My boss doesn't think they would be worth the cost. I wonder how much time our driver spend every yr, stopping to clean ice off, breaking blades and spray deicer?? and of course the safety aspect of being able to see well and stopping bus to climb up there and knock ice off.
If the product holds up and is well made seems like cost really isn't that much to me,IMO....we pay quite a bit to have those SEE II air deflectors on the back to keep windows and lights clean.....
I would like to try a set and test them...

My buses typically run 200-250 miles per day as we transport county wide.. so iced up wipers might be more of an issue for a longer bus run...maybe a non issue if running in a local school district?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  04:09:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait till a driver slips and falls trying to shake the build up off his wipers or something happens with the kids on his bus while he is outside trying to knock the ice off so he can see where he is going......

They do work well and appear to be well made.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  05:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wait till a driver slips and falls trying to shake the build up off his wipers or something happens with the kids on his bus while he is outside trying to knock the ice off so he can see where he is going......

You got it! Am currently reading a book about president Bush (43) and in it he refers to a lawyer that Mother Theresa had. The comment was made "we sure live in a litigious society if Mother Theresa has to have a lawyer"

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  05:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

You got it! Am currently reading a book about president Bush (43) and in it he refers to a lawyer that Mother Theresa had. The comment was made "we sure live in a litigious society if Mother Theresa has to have a lawyer"

That is exactly the point I am trying to get across to my supers, thanks for the input! price isn't that much when you figure in all possible costs....
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  07:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree slippert, but there is such a thing that your company/ district just flat doesn't have the money to put into the item.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  6:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree slippert, but there is such a thing that your company/ district just flat doesn't have the money to put into the item.

Know all about the funding concerns, kind of stating the obious here in MI the last couple of yrs.... but like you said above, sad when Mother Theresa needs a lawyer. All it takes is one incident or injury as Fastback said above. then they would be a great Idea,
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  07:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

quote:

Know all about the funding concerns, kind of stating the obious here in MI the last couple of yrs.... but like you said above, sad when Mother Theresa needs a lawyer. All it takes is one incident or injury as Fastback said above. then they would be a great Idea,

Unfortunately that is often times what it takes.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Blade Thumper works good but is spendy. I would rate remote control rear view heated mirrors first before the Blade Thumper.

The early electrically heated blade failed my test in 1980. I installed heating pads in all my rear view mirrors at that time.

The winter blades with rubber coverings work a little better when wiped with a silicone pad a couple times each winter.

The new thin one piece flexible blade may work best and can be wiped with a silicon soaked pad a couple times each winter as needed.
Dwight

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000