IC coolant hoses leaking.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2013 :  09:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 08 IC w/466 is loosing water. I have found that most of the smaller coolant hoses for like the oil cooler and such are leaking. Some are leaking on the factory crimped (not gear clamped) end. So is the hose actually leaking or is it just the clamps?

Seem that any hose that has a orange outer tint or orange inner liner is leaking. None of the heater hoses or radiator hoses are leaking just the orange ones and mainly the ones on the turbo side of the engine.

Updated hoses or just cut the bands off and put a worm gear clamp on them?

Thanks everyone!!!

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  04:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have found on mine same vintage and newer, The silicone hoses for the EGR coolers are deteriorating quickly on the inside and causing them to crack the (orange silicone) inner layer. Then leak between the 2 layers of the hose..... Do yourself a favor and change all of the cooler hoses at the same time. Mine will start leaking at anywhere from 30,000-50,000 miles.
I have had better luck when replacing them, using Goodyear hi-miler hose or even standard hose....so far....

I suppose you could have a clamp issue at the factory crimp too. but so far when mine have been leaking it was the hoses.....

Haven't had as much issue with the oil cooler hose but have had a few doing the same.... don't know if it is the red coolant causing issues with those hoses or Higher temps??

when you take off one of those hoses run your finger inside it will probably come out like orange paint.....

Edited by - slippert on 02/19/2013 04:47:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

oldmech

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  07:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm With Slippert.It always seemed to happen on mine a while after an EGR cooler failure.My thinking is when the cooler fails the exaust mixes with the rotella coolant and eats the silicone hose. I use the gates "stick" hose and constant torque clamps and have had no more leaks.Also keep a close eye on your heater hoses between the engine and firewall. We have had several of those blow out as well.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  09:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I had one of the orange lined hoses bite me this weekend. Luckily I was the one drving the bus when it popped. It wasnt the larger ones on the turbo side. It was the small 3/8" one from the EGR to the EGR cooler. Luckily it burst just above the clamp and there was just enough extra hose to cut off the bad piece and reinstall. I noticed the faulty piece felt funny so I looked closer and the inner liner had split length ways to the hose and outer jacket was all that was left trying to hold the pressure back. I split the piece down its length and folded it open and was amazed at how deterioated the inner line was. I replaced all the 3/8" coolant hoses but only this one (EGR to cooler) had the orange liner? Anyway I would recommend replacing this short piece of hose when/if anyone replaces the larger ones on the turbo side and those at the EGR cooler.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  5:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know that there are those out there who will disagree with me but I have changed all of those 15 lb pressure caps down to 10 lb with no ill effects...... yet. And there have been far fewer leaks.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  04:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

I know that there are those out there who will disagree with me but I have changed all of those 15 lb pressure caps down to 10 lb with no ill effects...... yet. And there have been far fewer leaks.

I wondered this myself. Got a part number for the 10psi caps? Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  06:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with you IBT lower pressure may slow problems down, tried to link a pic of inside of one of my hoses that is on photo bucket. This one came off a bus with just over 30,000 miles on it....don't think lower pressure is cure. This is one of the EGR cooler hoses off a 2010 bus...the rest look the same any of the silicone lines in the cooling system do this quite fast....
http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/user/Slippert1/media/photobucket-68122-1362490653005.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Edited by - slippert on 03/05/2013 06:48:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  5:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

I agree with you IBT lower pressure may slow problems down, tried to link a pic of inside of one of my hoses that is on photo bucket. This one came off a bus with just over 30,000 miles on it....don't think lower pressure is cure. This is one of the EGR cooler hoses off a 2010 bus...the rest look the same any of the silicone lines in the cooling system do this quite fast....
http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/user/Slippert1/media/photobucket-68122-1362490653005.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I've had to replace a few of those too....... all on the same bus! And I found the same thing. Separation.

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  01:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CISDbusman

quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

I wondered this myself. Got a part number for the 10psi caps? Thanks!!

2039390C3

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000