Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 When are school bus cameras checked?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Apache

2 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  06:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Apache's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was driving my bus the other day when I started thinking about my cameras. How often are they checked, and by whom? Is it only when an incident or fight is reported? Sometimes the police show up and inspect random buses. Do they check them then?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  07:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is different schools have different policies. We don't have the manpower to check them at random. Although that doesn't mean it never happens. Your state inspector is not going to be doing that either. Without a warrant that would be against the law, the big one called the US Constituion!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Apache

2 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  09:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Apache's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by bwest

My guess is different schools have different policies. We don't have the manpower to check them at random. Although that doesn't mean it never happens. Your state inspector is not going to be doing that either. Without a warrant that would be against the law, the big one called the US Constituion!

Are you saying that state inspectors don't check them cameras, or they need a warrant to do so? If they typically don't check them, then who does?

Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  10:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By "check" are we talking about "ensuring functionality" or "rolling the tapes to ensure proper behavior"?

IMO, behavior-wise, it's up to the driver. My driver used to pull the tape whenever it got full and watch them (or so she said). I imagine this would be beneficial for the driver to see how the kids behaved for a sub.

Functionality-wise, perhaps during PMs would be good.
Go to Top of Page

Yardmonkey

9 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  3:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yardmonkey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my School divison only checked them when there was an issue on the bus and a mainatance check yearly. these are digital and over wrote after the card filled up. the maintanance only checked for function of cameras & recorder.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  6:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apache

[quote]Originally posted by bwest

Are you saying that state inspectors don't check them cameras, or they need a warrant to do so? If they typically don't check them, then who does?

I'm talking content for a warrant. As far as functionality, our state doesn't have anything to do with them. I take care of that periodically. Ours are meant for discipline only and the driver doesn't have access. We see it as protecting the driver. If a parent finds out the driver has access to the camera there could be all kinds of accusations thrown around. I wish we didn't have to have them. The times demand them though.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  05:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our supervisors try to check the cameras once a month to ensure they are functioning properly. In terms of actually pulling the tape to watch it, that's only done when an incident has occurred that warrants the tape being pulled.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  09:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say it's a pretty safe bet that the overwhelming majority of bus cameras only get checked for footage when something needs to be checked - usually based upon reports from someone that something is going on that shouldn't be.

To pay someone (or multiple someones) to sit in an office all day watching endless hours of normal, routine bus footage would be a gigantic waste of resources.

My cameras get checked for proper operation at each PM, and that's about it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000