New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  3:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2002 International RE, T444E, MD-3060, and 111,000 miles.

This morning while driving a route the Check Trans light came on and the push-button selector showed a "3" as opposed the "5" it normally shows. I got no response from the transmission. None of the buttons on the selector would do anything and I could not get the bus into any gear (drive or reverse). The bus would roll freely if I let off the brake, as if it were in neutral. I shut the bus off and restarted it and all was normal again.

Any ideas what happened?

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  6:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It needed a reboot. Seen it happen.
Could have been a momentary power issue or an interruption of the data stream. It could be sunspot activity for all I know.
If it becomes a repeat issue, I'd start checking all of the electrical connections involved.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  6:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's kinda what I figured it was. We shall see what happens...
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  09:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The issue your having will probably come back. The trans saw a fault of some kind and then it locked into a range, being 3rd gear. it stays in that gear as a limp mode to protect itself. More than likely it saw a power loss the the TCU. After a shutdown and restart it will work normal if the problem is not there. you have an intermittent problem. You need to pull the codes from the trans and see what comes up. You can pull them from the shift pad. Push the up and down arrow at the same time, first thing its going to do is check the fluid level, push the mode button and you enter diagnostic mode, it will flash D1 then a code if present, then d2, d3, d4, d5 and give codes if they are there. Get that number out and I can tell what the fault code means. This depends on your shift pad, but 02 with the MD3060 has that ability.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000