Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  09:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

We thought you might be interested to read this news story about school bus inspection fees in Iowa.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/Channel/Bus-Maintenance/News/2013/02/05/Iowa-bus-inspection-fee-to-increase-pending-governor-approval.aspx

Sincerely,
Kelly Roher
SBF Managing Editor

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  7:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ONE inspector for the entire state of Iowa???? That can't be right.
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  04:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One inspector is correct, at least at this moment in time.

From my conversations with the inspector the "game" plan in time is to have three, possibly with a fourth as a roaming inspector.
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  10:43:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta be quite the half assed inspection considering there is one guy for 7,500 vehicles. Here in NY, over 40,000 school buses are thoroughly inspected two times a year by over 100 inspectors.

Edited by - RichBusman on 02/06/2013 10:43:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  03:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure the inspection process here in Iowa is not as "under the microscope" as other states. But I think the brothers do a pretty good job. Just don't tell them I said that, wouldn't want there heads to swell.
Go to Top of Page

Spar

20 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  03:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, they do a fairly thorough job of inspecting. Very knowledgeable and very much "by the book". They do have help at times from the state patrol.

I do believe there are ways to make the system streamlined and better over-all. I'd like to see it modeled after the FMCSA and DOD inspections, and re-write of the existing codes to better serve the intent of the rules without restricting vehicle building practices, and to remove "inspector discretion".

For example, one of the rules I have a question about is the strobe light. It is to be used at driver's discretion, however if it doesn't work the bus is out of service? Rust is another issue. Since I've worked for both a school district and a contractor I know the criteria is different, and I suspect the size of the contractor/district plays a role. I have seen small districts "get by with" rust holes above the floor line 2 inch sized or larger, while at a contractor I will get written up for bubbled paint around a rivet below the floor line.

I don't mind being held to a higher standard - but with the results of the inspections now being shown online, shouldn't the standards be either consistent or better explained?

basically the imnsho the book needs rewritten.
You can see the pdf here I think:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Feducateiowa.gov%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_docman%26task%3Ddoc_download%26gid%3D646&ei=DKgoUbGfEM7q2wWVjIHYDQ&usg=AFQjCNGpCB843fcPPEdigsfhkaVuEg6qJw&bvm=bv.42768644,d.b2I

Again, our inspector(s?) are good - however I think the inspection criteria/process needs revamped on a systematic level.

My thoughts on the fee increasing, that's just a reduction in state funding to the districts. I could go on but I shant. I already rambled too long. It's late or early and I need some sleep.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000