Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 at 545 still pulls in neutral
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike9

19 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  10:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello, we have a 2001 bb 5.9 / at545 trans problem is it suddenly does not pull in forward has reverse but still pulls in netral,dropped pan fluid is not burnt,no material in pan.was shifting fine,no slippage.bus did have reman engine installed 2 weeks ago.any thoughts on this.bus route does have fairly long uphill grade at start of route,bus has 91000 miles.

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  06:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first thought is to recheck the shift linkage on the side of the transmission. Make sure something didn't get bent or tweaked during the engine swap.

I had one do this in reverse once. For us, that meant time for a new reman (we don't do much in shop transmission work.)

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  09:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, linkage. You say it works in reverse but how does it feel when your shifting it into reverse? Does it feel like it normally feels?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mike9

19 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  11:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
linkage is ok,nothing broke ,maybe a stuck valve in valve body? thx mike
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  12:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would remove linkage and manually move the shaft going into the transmission (leave the lever on the shaft). See if it moves smoothly and hits all the detents. If everything moves well try having someone (you trust) start the bus and hold their foot on the brake while you manually put it in gear from the transmission without the linkage hooked up. Please be extremely careful when doing this, this would be what you call VERY dangerous. This would be my course of action before I took it in to be diagnosed or pulled and replaced the trans. This is the end of my expertise but there are others here that are well versed in diagnosing these things.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

GPwing

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  08:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit GPwing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's more than likely your Torque converter and the overrunning clutch in it has piled up. I have had a number of them do this.
Go to Top of Page

mike9

19 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  08:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thx for the help guys!!
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  08:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call Ralph Lair @ Indland Truck, 1-800-362-2970. He should be able to offer some insight. Ralph has been my "go to" guy for years. Like you, I'm mostly R&R on these units.
Go to Top of Page

mike9

19 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  2:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THanks,I spoke with Ralph at inland he said fourth gear clutches,thx for all the help. mike9
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000