Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 cat3126 on freightliner school bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Abdoulaye

8 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2013 :  2:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abdoulaye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello

I recently bought a freightliner school bus with a cat3126 engine inside. It s a 1999 or 2000 model. For the last few month I have a problem that no body seems to understand what going on. In the morning it start normaly, but after about 30 milles of driving it turning off alone. We notice recently that there is a yellow cylinder part just on the side of the fuel filter. This part looking like a filter but it been screed by the bottom and it mark on it do not remove. You also have three signs with a cross line on each of them to avoid people removing it. We notice that this part getting really hot and as soon when you driving and you release the gaz to press the brake the engine turning off. It not turning off when you not releas the gas. You can try like crazy to start it back it won t start at all. But if you put water with ice on it to get it cold the engine starting as soon as this cylinder is cold. If you wait it can take more than an hour to turn back on. The check engine ligting some time, I bought an OBD2 code reader but not seen to found the plug on the bus. Please help me I try all I can. Can someone help me founding what is the problem or what is the name of this part and why we cannot remove it to fix. Thanks

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  12:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is the top part of the high pressure oil pump for the HEUI injection system. When the engine is hot the oil is runny and may be leaking past the injector o rings or you may have a faulty high pressure oil pump or ipr(injection pressure regulator) valve. If the top of the canister is hotter than engine temp you may have a bad pump.
Go to Top of Page

Abdoulaye

8 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  2:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abdoulaye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your answer, we notice that the engine not getting hot. How can I fix it because the mechanic in my country you need to explain exactly what to do. Is it a part we can remove to fix if not how can we change it and which part is compatible. thanks again
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  04:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Get the engine s/n from the data plate on the engine. Go to http://parts.cat.com/parts/engine-parts and look to the right side of the page and locate a dealer in your area. You are looking for the high pressure oil pump for the injection system. All parts are serial number driven, you may also be able to ask a technition questions about your particular problem, which may need more than just the oil pump mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Abdoulaye

8 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  08:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abdoulaye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What you not understand the bus is in Africa here there is no dealer, we cannot event read the code. I get an OBD2 scanner but not able to found the plug. I need to explain the mechanic what to do and how to do it. Just before it s hapen the old driver run it everything was good at this time but he run without water and the bus get really hot and stop working. when it cold down the fuel was going into the cooland. we change the injecteurs rings and it s for this time that everything went wrong. thanks again
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  08:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you post a picture of the bus. Your OBD2 scanner is not going to do you any good. You need the heavy duty application using a 9-pin connector. Without a little more description of the bus I am thinking its an FS-65 model. Is the bus a front engine conventional or a rear engine bus? If its the FS-65 model the diagnostic connector is inside the dash. Right hand side near the entrance door below the dash top the is a small panel you can remove. There is also a fuse panel in there also. Can you also send a picture of the part your describing? It sounds like your loosing injection pressure. But you would need a laptop and CAT ET software to read that. I have a heavy duty scanner but it doesnt read a lot of the engine diagnostics you need. You have to upgrade it with CAT software. The pic would help us point you in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  10:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If fuel got into the coolant because the engine got too hot then it is most likly that 1 or more of the injector tube o rings are burnt.You may have to replace the tubes and orings. Try removign the valve cover to see if you can spot one or more injectors blowing excess oil out around the base of the injector. You may also want to check for more fuel in the coolant and oil in the fuel return line. Do you have a shop manual for this eng, there are some tools and fittings in the cat manual to test the high pressure system with out a computer. Cat uses the same motors in agriculture and generator applications as well. Post your city and country and we may find someone close to you.
Go to Top of Page

Abdoulaye

8 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  11:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abdoulaye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the bus is in Burkina faso, Ouagadougou. We change all the rings and the fuel no more going in the cooland. the only pb is the cutting of the engine.
Go to Top of Page

Abdoulaye

8 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  08:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abdoulaye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much, but they asking for a registration code
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  08:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Abdoulaye

Thanks very much, but they asking for a registration code

Yes that's just a referral. They will e-mail you a code when you sign up. I'm not an admin there.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  08:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your local Caterpillar dealer is BURKINA EQUIPEMENTS , this dealer does not currently utilize the Cat® PartStore™ application. Please visit their website at: www.burkinaequipements.com or contact them by phone at:
226 50 36 47 66 general info
I suppose this is not news to you. If you take out the sensor on top of the cylinder head at the left front corner area and adapt a 5000 psi(34.474MPa) gauge to it and crank the engine you will need at least 650 psi(4.4816MPa) to make the injectors work and if you put the gauge in the end of the line from the pump to the head it should read about4000 psi(27.549MPa) or so. I am not sure of the conversion to Bar.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  1:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more thing. When you pour water on the engine computer (ecu) does it start? I had one do that on a Cummins. It had an internal short/open inside. Bus would quit running. New ECU fixed it. Also some of the members on MHH are power equipment and construction techs that travel all over the world. Maybe one in your area.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 01/18/2013 1:39:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Abdoulaye

8 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  3:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abdoulaye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You means when we put water on the pump top part, as soon as it get less hot the engine start. If we not put water you need to wait for this part to become cold again to have the engine start. One last thing the engine not getting hot at all it just this part that getting hot. Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  11:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try removing the steel line at the bottom of the pump (below the part that gets hot) that goes to the cylinder head and checking for metal shavings or blockage in the tube also remove the fitting and check there as well try to start and see what blows out with the oil. It may be time to replace the high pressure oil pump assembly.
Go to Top of Page

Abdoulaye

8 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  09:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abdoulaye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

We found a Tube bringing water to the engine totally block with dust, we clean it up and try again with the old Pump. The engine starts and turn off after 15min. We try to turn it back without success. We get another HP pump but there is a small difference on the bottom of the two pumps. I take a pic but didn't found the way to post it. I will do my best to describe the problem.
On the bottom of the pump, on the opposite of the side fix the the engine, there is a part fix with two screens It s seem to be the only part you can remove. This part is short on the old one but long on the new one. We mount the new one but it is too long and cannot feet. We wondere what is the difference on the pumps and if it is possible to switch the part causing problem. If it is possible to do so how can we do it and is it easy to do. Thanks very much
Go to Top of Page

Abdoulaye

8 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  09:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abdoulaye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
some one tell me that the part call the transfert pump
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  07:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe the extra long fitting is a check valve you should be able to replace that fitting with one of your old ones from the old pump.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000