New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  05:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever notice that Blue Bird 8-way lights/ visor doesn't stick out past the tail lights like an IC does? I don't have any Saf-t-liners so I don't know how they are. I have a small shop and when putting a 71 passenger conventional in, it is real close to the work bench in the front. So I try to make them as close to the door in the back as possible by backing up to the door after I close it. You have to really watch on an IC, I have bent all my visors up on them. lol

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  08:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My shop is cramped also, can't open the hood on our lone 77 passenger IC conventional if its far enough inside to close the overhead door. I would note that to add to the cramped quarters pain, our 77 passenger came with the 8 way light visors but our 65 passenger didn't

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  12:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas Transits are more like the Birds; about even. We actually put our CE 77's on the Rotary lifts backwards so we can shut the doors. I'll try to post a picture some day...got some nice lift adapters from Rotary so we could fit them in the shop.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  3:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

My shop is cramped also, can't open the hood on our lone 77 passenger IC conventional if its far enough inside to close the overhead door. I would note that to add to the cramped quarters pain, our 77 passenger came with the 8 way light visors but our 65 passenger didn't

Sounds like home. lol

Mechan1c, sounds like you have some pretty nice equipment. I really shouldn't complain much. If these buses need anything they get it no questions asked. I wouldn't work here if it were any other way. I just get aggravated when I pull a Bird in here and it fits and then I pull an IC in, that's the same size, and it doesn't.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  4:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thomas and Blue Bird have a rear end that slants inward above the top rub rail. That would give you the additional distance between the wall and the warning light visors. IC is straight up and down on the rear, and for that matter the sides. Big boxes. Blue Birds have straight side walls. Thankfully Thomas has shape left in their buses...both their rear walls and side walls slant inward above a certain level.

Where I worked sounds much like your shops...except we often had to use the bumpers on the walls for precision manuevering.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000