Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Bounccing dash guages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Logistix

1 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  12:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Logistix's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 2002 and 2003 Int'l 4300 with bouncing dash gauges. It is random and and annoying. Causes the cruise control not to work also. We have cleaned all the batter connectors and replaced low voltage batteries in each unit, all 920 plus. Does anyone know what can be causing this except for a new dash cluster?

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  12:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are they bouncing like when they first power up? The whole cycle though? or are they just bouncing a bit and not reading accurately?

The mini-bouncing (if it's not the whole dash, but just specific gauges,) could be just sending units.

You can try pulling the dash out and cleaning the 3 sets of connectors on the back. I take an old toothbrush and some cleaner (I've used wd-40 with some success,) and scrub both the connector and the back of the dash. Be careful to keep your self grounded to the dash, as a static charge from you can zap the dash's computer board.

But more likely than not, you are talking about the entire dash, and these things are notorious for going bad in the IH's. I have 7 of that vintage, and all but 1 have had to have a new dash cluster, two of them are on dash cluster #3.
Go to Top of Page

busman01

15 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  05:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit busman01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Logistix-If cleaning the connectors does'nt work,you could replace the center circuit board on the instrument cluster.Its much less expensive than replacing the whole thing.Works every time on our faulty International dashes.These are available thru D&D instruments.com Ph#1-800-766-4243
Go to Top of Page

oldmech

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  07:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've ben able to repair mine by taking the main board out of the panel and resolidering the wiring connector pins on the back side of the board.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  4:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oldmech is on it. Usually it's the ground pin that has cracked in the center circuit. We've had about a 50% success rate by re-soldering that terminal. Worth a try.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  08:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's good advice busman01 and oldmech. I will have to check those out next time I have one go screwy. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000