Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Fieldtrip and Night Driving
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beebo

3 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  09:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Beebo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder if bus designers ever take in to concideration that school buses are driven at night. Things like window glare while driving, brighter interior lighting, Newer buses even shut themselves off after idling for a few minutes. This makes keeping kids warm after a late football game a hassle. A lot of the automatic setups on buses take bus control out of the hands of the bus driver. If a bus driver speeds, fire them, don't govern all buses because a few don't know how to drive safely. Don't put an idle monitor on a bus because a few let their buses idle to long. Or better yet actually talk to a bus driver before putting the latest useless gadget on a bus. We know what we need better than someone who has never transported kids anywhere. Would it be too much to simply put a clock on the bus. Or even a place to secure a clipboard when a driver needs to glance at directions safely or a sub needs to look at a route discription for the next stop. Just sayin...

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  3:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beebo

I wonder if bus designers ever take in to concideration that school buses are driven at night. Things like window glare while driving, brighter interior lighting, Newer buses even shut themselves off after idling for a few minutes. This makes keeping kids warm after a late football game a hassle. A lot of the automatic setups on buses take bus control out of the hands of the bus driver. If a bus driver speeds, fire them, don't govern all buses because a few don't know how to drive safely. Don't put an idle monitor on a bus because a few let their buses idle to long. Or better yet actually talk to a bus driver before putting the latest useless gadget on a bus. We know what we need better than someone who has never transported kids anywhere. Would it be too much to simply put a clock on the bus. Or even a place to secure a clipboard when a driver needs to glance at directions safely or a sub needs to look at a route discription for the next stop. Just sayin...

You make a good point. With all the crap that some companies spec for their buses, you would think that driver input would be important. In some companies, that just doesn't seem to be the case. I do my share of night driving, and I'd suggest:

1. Invest in a GPS! Mine has saved me more time and aggravation when I wasn't sure, or just didn't know where I was going. You also appear better prepared and even more professional! I've had coaches/teachers make positive comments about my using a GPS; never a complaint! Most models will even tell you how long to your destination, should someone ask.

2. Do some homework on the areas that you're going. Talk to other drivers, or look up online the communities where you'll be going. This way, you can hang at a local restaurant/coffee shop and not freeze your butt off because you can't idle your bus. If there are other drivers at the night destination, invite them to come along and everyone go in one bus! This way, you're not sitting in an idling bus, which, face it, is really no fun anyway. This is all dependant of course on if your company allows you to do this, and doesn't have "spies" out to see where you are. (*cough* First Student *cough*) Of course, you can always sit through the sporting event inside the school if all else fails--bring a Thermos of coffee and a book too!

Hope this helps some.

Go to Top of Page

Beebo

3 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  7:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Beebo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions, but idling for warmth isnt for me. I have sat for half an hour waiting on the band director to complete loading instruments. With 48 kids on the bus 30 degrees outside idling is necessary. Restarting the bus every couple of minutes makes this nearly impossible
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2013 :  6:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The band director is loading ALONE? While the band members are sitting on a bus that you're struggling to keep warm? Keep the engine off, that'll motivate them to get off their butts, perhaps, and expedite the process.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000