International 444e Major oil leak side of pan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  07:44:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning I got out of bus and found oil everywhere.. There is a big plug looking thing with a ring but near the starter on the side of the oil pan, oil has poured out of the pan through this.. What is it and can I just tighten and put new oil in?
I'm a private contractor and never seen this happen before.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  07:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its the dipstick tube adapter. International makes a repair kit that can be installed without removing pan. You can try tightening the nut but chances are you won't stop the leak by doing so.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  07:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PAN DOES NOT NEED TO BE REMOVED!
International has a repair kit for this problem.
I believe its PN 1846146C91.

Edited by - Fastback on 12/17/2012 08:11:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  05:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joeheb

Darn!!! Fastback. I've done hundreds that way.

Edit: Had no clue they had a repair kit for it.

oucch, T444E oil pan R&R is no fun.
I imagine International come out with the kit to reduce warranty costs with this repair. It basically involves using an oil galley cleaning brush inserted into the dipstick tube hole to keep that piece from dropping into pan, then remove the big nut (fan clutch wrench fits), pull out o ring, clean area of oil, reassemble with a paper gasket on outside of pan and the supplied in the kit permatex/Loctite products.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  10:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's because you are the only one having this problem, don't you know that!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  4:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats a sick feeling when backing piece falls down into the pan......been there

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

bdhutier

2 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  1:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit bdhutier's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
It basically involves using an oil galley cleaning brush inserted into the dipstick tube hole to keep that piece from dropping into pan, then remove the big nut (fan clutch wrench fits), pull out o ring, clean area of oil, reassemble with a paper gasket on outside of pan and the supplied in the kit permatex/Loctite products.

I used a wire hanger to hold the internal piece, and sealed the nut with the leftovers of the priced-like-it's-magical silicone IC sells from a front-cover job a few weeks prior!
Go to Top of Page

05ICCE

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  5:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit 05ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

quote:

That's because you are the only one having this problem, don't you know that!!!!!!

"International" We have never seen that problem but we have a service kit to correct it.

Mr. Scott, "because he drives a COOL BUS"
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  08:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know the nut size off hand?? Going to try and work on it this weekend. Someone said a clutch fan wrench is perfect size, will auto zone have this?
Thanks for all the replies. It is the dipstick as everyone posted. Nut just came loose.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  06:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark23290

Anyone know the nut size off hand?? Going to try and work on it this weekend. Someone said a clutch fan wrench is perfect size, will auto zone have this?
Thanks for all the replies. It is the dipstick as everyone posted. Nut just came loose.

The fan clutch wrench for the T444E measures 2" and fits perfectly.

Go to Top of Page

SDDT

2 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  12:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit SDDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't seem to get oil pan to stop leaking has anyone used a gasket for this I see moroso makes one
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  12:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SDDI are you referring to the oil pan itself or the dipstick tube adapter? Either one of them can leak oil.

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

SDDT

2 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  3:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit SDDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the pan it self my tech has done it twice. it leaked in the front now in the rear it seems that some oil was still dripping and would not let the sealant cure over weekend leaked as soon as he filled it up didn't even have to start it.
Is there a better sealant or is a gasket the answer??
Go to Top of Page

Ron Douglas

13 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  07:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ron Douglas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Use the Motorcraft(Ford) silicone for the oil pan gasket. It is the best. RTV sealant just for the 7.3 engine.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  03:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SDDI, I have done dozens of oil pans Moroso makes and have not had one leak yet.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/moroso-27293-oil-pan-gasket.aspx

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000