Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Blue Bird Body Solenoid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  10:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Without going to Blue Bird, where can I find a new replacement body solenoid for my 2002 All American? It has two of them. The one for lights and other continuous circuits has been getting stuck on and off, sometimes comes on partially when the bus is off, and when it is on, shows a voltage drop on the output side- enough that when I jump the solenoid, my led lights will become brighter.

I tried my napa dealer, and they could not come up with an exact replacement.

matts4290

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  3:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question. I have always just sourced them from my dealer for conveniences' sake. What is the manufacturer/model on that one?

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  4:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School Bus Parts & Ridgeway Dist.

http://www.schoolbuspartsco.com/WebPages/a_switches/solenoid.html

http://www.ridgewaydistributors.com/

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  07:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like those recall replacement relays. They are a neat install and have been working great. I'm using one on my F-100 to power up the ignition fuse block.

http://www.westernbus.com/user_images/file/S0901_BodySolenoids.pdf

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  11:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't that special. They change suppliers, and now you have to buy a whole kit if your solenoid goes out. Obviously it's been awhile since we've purchased solenoids!

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  11:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ones I installed we got to do under warranty. No problems as of yet we got our fleet right in the fall. Winter hit and they failed one at a time. BB turned us on to this bulletin.The black OEM relays were sticking in the winter months. Give them a tap with a screwdriver handle and bam, back to normal. I saved the old ones though they work great for projects.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any local electrical dealer which sells Cole Hersee brand can get you one similar I believe. Our local vendor is Intermountain Electric which is an AC Delco distributor. These are rated at continuous duty and must be replaced with the same solenoid or they won't last. There is an amp rating on them so if you can find the amp rating i.e. 150 Amp Continuous duty 12 V solenoid, then that's what you need. This is not to say your solenoid is a 150 Amp. If you have a Blue Bird aftermarket parts book it should be located there and state the Amp rating if you can't find it on the solenoid. I may be able to locate for you if you can't find it. My email is schoolbuspm@q.com.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000