School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Brake and Tail light problems on an 89 bus.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jared Massingill

2 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  4:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared Massingill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have an 89 International Bluebird TC2000 Flat nose bus.

It has 4 tail lights with independent filament combo bulbs, with separate turn and backup lights.

recently I attempted to put a temporary 4 wire trailer plug on it at the tail lights. That endeavor eventually failed for the need trip as the weekend trip progressed. It all worked fine when the trip started. When we attempted to return home we found no functional tail lights as we attached the trailer. After removing the temporary harness and returning it to factory I now am faced with no tail lights and brake lights that only work on the drivers side. After the bus sits for a short period (one or two days) all the brake lights work. All of the tail lights work until, you combine the two. With the lights turned on and all working then applying the brake the passenger side does not work as before only the drivers side illuminates. After it sits for between 5 to 10 minutes with only the tail lights not the brake lights. The tail lights start to dim until out. They will not come back it seams for a day or two.

Thoughts...

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  8:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your probably looking at a weak circuit breaker.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  04:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question(s). So you are saying, that if you apply the brakes, the brake lights work or if you turn on the tail lights by themselves they work. But if you turn on the tail light and apply the brakes thats when things get stupid ? If this is the case, it puts me in mind of a ground issue, pull your lens off and check the ground straps, loosen and retighten the ground screws. Or possibly back feeding B+.

One other burning question, and don't get me wrong, but what state are you in that allows you to hook a trailer to a "School Bus". If I tried that in Iowa, I would be chewed up spit out and booed off stage.
Go to Top of Page

Jared Massingill

2 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  06:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared Massingill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your understanding of the problem is correct. It is a privately owned bus, and I am in Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  08:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang sure check your grounds, ground screws. After all electricty is FM ! Or so it seems that way.

It could very well be that you are dealing with two problems that started at the same time. The tail lights suggest a load issue just like Bwest said, weak breaker tripping and then cooling down.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000