New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  12:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a knucklehead who runs a salamander in the painting area of the shop. I wanted to know what your shops policies are on using these. I would think it might cause a fire and plus they leave condensation on the finish. We don't let him paint our buses anymore on account of the runs and fish eyes.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  12:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No shop policy but common sense would say not to do it. But I have one at home that I run but I don't paint and I don't stay in there with it all day either.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  5:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a salamander that we only use outside mostly at our steam clean/Rotary H-lift bay when its really cold and all the indoor lifts are in use. Painting areas and enclosed areas...Naa. I've got a drive through wash that we'll put it in when the pipes might freeze, but that's about it.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  5:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's like asking a guy to cut the top off an anti-freeze barrel for a garbage can. I didn't think to tell him to take the bungs out first. Knocked him right on his...
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  07:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

It's like asking a guy to cut the top off an anti-freeze barrel for a garbage can. I didn't think to tell him to take the bungs out first. Knocked him right on his...

This guy rents a section of the shop. We let him paint on a few route buses and they look horrible. So he is kinda giving me hard time because I can paint better with rural king and the paint stays on the bus. We no longer use his services. Anyway he thinks that low temps are causing his runs sags and fisheyes and runs that blasted jet engine looking contraption. The forced air part is broke so he has it hooked to shop air. Scary stuff!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  6:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might as well leave an engine running inside too. CO and NOx are being generated. Bad,bad,bad.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  1:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drp53188

Common sense ? i think thats the problem

Yes that's it. Indiana code doesn't require him to paint in the booth either and I have to breath that crap. I cringe every time I hear that contraption fire up. I actually too a video of him blasting the thing, while painting with it directed in the area the paint is stored. Common sense tells me to update my resume soon. It's gonna get ugly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gPf7PepYEo

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 12/18/2012 1:32:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000