New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  11:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do any of you have suggestions for eliminating the rich diesel smell during active regeneration of ISB-07's from the interior of buses?

We went through problems with our Bluebird A3RE's where we have completely resealed the exhaust system from turbo to tailpipe which seems to have worked.

We are now having problems with s couple of FE's, both an older A3 and a first year D3. Have had the two piece exhaust manifold resealed (then replaced), and have replaced the doghouse cover seals. No exhaust leaks evident.

The main complainer says it happens to him when his bus goes into regen on the freeway, and he comes to a stop light after exiting.

LeeB77

6 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  12:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit LeeB77's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds more like pressure differential in the passenger compartment. At highway speeds pressure inside the cab is going to be lower. Once the bus comes to a stop that pressure is going to equalize and pull air from around the bus into the passenger compartment. I am not sure what you could do to avoid it. We had a driver get sick at a school from the regen. I wish there was answer to that. As these buses age I imagine the problem will become worse.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  12:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that - any observations will help me out as well.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  02:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody else find it funny that our "super duper air cleaning engines" that the EPA jammed down our throats as gassing people into sickness? Wonder how many years til we find out that the fumes give you cancer?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  09:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeB77

Sounds more like pressure differential in the passenger compartment. At highway speeds pressure inside the cab is going to be lower. Once the bus comes to a stop that pressure is going to equalize and pull air from around the bus into the passenger compartment. I am not sure what you could do to avoid it. We had a driver get sick at a school from the regen. I wish there was answer to that. As these buses age I imagine the problem will become worse.

There is an answer to this (you guys know where I'm going) it's called propane. As you all probably know by now I love a diesel engine, just not an EPA diesel. If you haven't researched propane, do yourself a favor and do a little investigating. This IS the answer to the problems we've been having.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  12:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm going to start retrofitting all our buses to propane next week with the millions of extra dollars my state is pouring into the district. In the meantime, any other thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  2:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ROTFLOL! Well, I was kind of wondering if you have some blow by. I have one bus with 200k plus and it has quite a bit of blow by and every once in a while it will bring a smell into the passenger compartment. If this happens after it has been on the interstate it makes sense that the blow by could be worse than on a normal stop and go route.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  3:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah, I'm sure it's "regen smell." Bus is a 2009 with 67K, and driver reports the smell happens after he's noticed the high exhaust temp message indicating active regen. This is his first year driving a bus with a DPF, and he was off work in September due to surgery.

Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  05:23:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I get the same complaints with the IC's when they regen about smell it stinks or smells hot usually when setting still, haven't had anybody say they got sick yet.

Everything with DPF or regen should have closed crankcase vent system, or at least everything I have. So wouldn't think blow by would be an issue as far as smell myself.

Might make turbo look like it is puking oil in to CaC tubes. I had a higher mileage DT that started dripping alot of oil from CaC tube from turbo to charge air cooler, looked like turbo seals were bad, found the vent system spinner non functional. seems to be good now after replacing spinner can on side of engine.

Edited by - slippert on 12/12/2012 05:25:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  11:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the ISB's there is a CCV filter on top of the valve cover that, when full of oil, can make it look like the turbo seals have taken a dump.

The driver is getting out the 5-syllable words on his writeups - "carcinogenic" being the one that has supervisors' attention. We've switched him into one of the oldest unit in the fleet - a '97 TCFE that rattles like a freight elevator when climbing hills at 20 MPH max speed...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000