School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 What? It's not OK for teachers to run your reds???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  1:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a complaint I filed today with our state motor vehicle division along with the standard complaint form <not shown>:

To: Registry Of Motor Vehicles, Vehicle Safety & Compliance Services

From: XXXXXXX X. XXXXXXX, XXXXX XXXXXXXX Transportation Company, Inc.
Driver: Bus Route #8, XXXXX XXXXXXX.

Date: December 7, 2012

DETAILS REGARDING INCIDENT OF DECEMBER 7, 2012

At 7:47am on December 7, 2012, I was completing my XXXXX XXXXXXX Middle School route, discharging students at the approved student loading zone, with 8- way flashing system and stop sign activated. At that time, the offending operator of the Nissan Pathfinder proceeded to violate the established Safety Zone of the bus (on the driver’s side) and make a right turn into a parking space approximately across from where the flashing stop sign was displayed. From the time of entering the safety zone to the time he parked, I sounded my horn to warn students, as is standard Massachusetts procedure.

The driver exited his vehicle demanding my reason for sounding my horn, which I promptly gave him, (State Law) informing him politely that all vehicles must stop when the red lights are flashing on a school bus. He became belligerent and argued that because he turned before the stop sign, the law did not apply. He also attempted to exempt himself by stating that he was a teacher, and only traveling two to four miles per hour (2-4 mph) to the parking space. I informed him that his assumed exemption was false. He then began photographing the scene with his cellular telephone, I cooperated and remained on the scene, with 8-way flashing system and stop sign activated. His pictures will clearly show the Danger Zone violation. I informed him several times that my conversation was finished, and that further concerns could be addressed with the RMV. I left the scene at 7:53 am. I have attached a drawing diagramming the incident.

Upon my recent review today of M.G.L. Chapter 90, Section 14, I could not readily locate exemptions of 90-14 for teachers, slow speeds or Danger Zone intrusions before the activated stop sign regardless of job title or speed. If I am in error, I would appreciate written clarification in order to avoid future confrontations of this type.

Should you need further information, please feel free to contact me at XXX-XXX-XXXX. I am willing to appear at an RMV hearing if necessary.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX X. XXXXXXX
Attachment-Drawing of scene of violation
CC: XXXXX XXXXXXXX Transportation Company, Inc.

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  1:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and yes, I smiled for the camera.
Go to Top of Page

RweThereYet

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  4:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a couple of questions -
Are you nuts?
Don't you know teachers are exempt from all laws of these here united states, and if they have a masters degree exempt world wide!
Are you looking for a new career?
Heaven knows that the administration will probably have the hook out for you real soon for turning in one of their own.
Don't you know that in some school districts teachers have their own privelged parking spots in bus loops, and/or beside fire hydrants. No speed limits exist on the campus, and stop signs might as well be non-existant as well all for the benefit of the teachers.
And as factitious as this all sounds, it's all so very true in these here parts - - - oh the stories I'm sure many of us could tell.....
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  2:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RweThereYet

Just a couple of questions -
Are you nuts?
Don't you know teachers are exempt from all laws of these here united states, and if they have a masters degree exempt world wide!
Are you looking for a new career?
Heaven knows that the administration will probably have the hook out for you real soon for turning in one of their own.
Don't you know that in some school districts teachers have their own privelged parking spots in bus loops, and/or beside fire hydrants. No speed limits exist on the campus, and stop signs might as well be non-existant as well all for the benefit of the teachers.
And as factitious as this all sounds, it's all so very true in these here parts - - - oh the stories I'm sure many of us could tell.....

You made my day!! That's almost exactly what the boss at the bus company said!!! If the teacher hadn't acted the way he did, I wouldn't have done what I did! :) All I need is for him to hit a kid--who's gonna spend the whole day peeing into cups and breathing into tubes and answering the same questions over and over? Not him! Not happenin' on my watch if I can help it! And yep, Mr. Master's Degree "talked down" to me. Probably because I have a Bachelor's! :)

Edited by - FrankP on 12/09/2012 2:32:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  4:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Also FYI, since I assume you're all talking about the teacher exemptions in public schools... If you find yourself on a private school campus, parents qualify for the same exemptions and preferred parking as long as they drive a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, or similar vehicle. I saw one of them get into it with a security guard while I was waiting on a charter last week, they were trying to keep a spot clear next to the bus parking area so we could make the swing to get out but Mrs. Lexus didn't want to walk the extra 50 feet. She swore the bus had AT LEAST 5 feet on the other side to turn out so there was NO reason she couldn't park there and stormed away without letting the guard respond. Fortunately the cars in the next row cleared out before any buses had to leave...
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  1:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Five whole feet??? Wow, you can drive a....toyota through there... I guess "Parents' Privilege" stems from paying all that money to send little Biff to school, even if it creates a hazard or incoveniences someone else.

Edited by - FrankP on 12/12/2012 1:50:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Beebo

3 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  09:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Beebo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you know that police cannot issue a ticket to those who pass your reds on school grounds. It's concidered private property.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  2:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless the school allows it ^^^

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  7:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Private property? I thought it was public property -- publicly owned, anyway, from the taxes!
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  3:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beebo

Did you know that police cannot issue a ticket to those who pass your reds on school grounds. It's concidered private property.

Perhaps that is true in your state. Here in Massachusetts, the law does not make that distinction.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000