Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Fuel Pump on T444E
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeff lawyer

6 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  12:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeff lawyer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While removing the fuel pump, the plunger dropped down into the engine. Is it likely that it dropped down into the oil pan? Has anyone else had this problem? I need to know how to get it out. Thanks

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  1:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Proper procedure is to remove fuel pump bolts and rotate crankshaft until fuel pump rises to its highest position on its cam lobe, in this position the plunger/tappet cannot fall into the crankcase.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

oldmech

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  1:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Jeff. The first time I pulled one of those it did the same thing to me. Mine went to the bottom of the pan. I wish I would of known it before I pulled the pan off. Hopefully yours went there too. The only way to know for sure is to spend a lot of time and aggrivation dropping the pan. Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  3:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Removing the pan on a T444E is no fun. Engine needs to be supported so front crossmember can be moved out of the way.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

jeff lawyer

6 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  7:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeff lawyer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the fast response to my question,thank you for welcoming me to your group.Your answers were very helpfuland hopefully we can help you out sometime.thank you very much
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  10:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you thought about a bore scope? You can get a decent one for $300. Could come in handy later too.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  08:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can buy a cheap usb bore scope off ebay for about 15 bucks and hook it to your laptop if you want to fish around down the hole.
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  3:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speaking of cameras I've had good luck with this one. I know HF is low quality stuff but this one is real nice. I think I paid 120 for it after all the discounts. Camera is real small, which is great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-resolution-digital-inspection-camera-with-recorder-67980.html
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  8:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh the irony . So I got my camara hooked up to my laptop for the first time today and guess what comes in the shop . A 444e with a fuel leak by the pump. Wiggled the cam down there and sure enough the fuel pump we installed a few months ago was leaking out the weep hole. I took a pick of the fuel dripping out for warranty . Best 15 bucks Ive spent in a while. Now if we could find a better supplier for IH parts than IH?
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  10:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Check with your local diesel service company ours in Ft. Wayne and Mentone sell Alliant Power parts as one of their lines the catalog is full of ford, navistar, gm, and cat pumps, nozzels, sensors, wiring, and other goodies. www.alliantpower.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000