New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  5:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I've got a 13' IC with an air door. I was just wondering what your opinions are of this set-up? I guess that International has changed the locking mechanism a bit.

I don't know if any of you have the same issue I have with mine, but as soon as the bus is shut off I loose all air pressure on the door and it blows open, and closed. So in order to keep the door closed when i'm loading students at school I have to have the key set at "run" (without the bus running).

I know with some of our older IC's with electric doors you could operate the door on accessory, but noticed that I can't do that with my air door. I hear a click of a relay in the fuse panel when I try to open or close the door on accessory. Is it possible to get the door to work on accessory somehow? I do realize the air set-up & electric set-up are two different things.

I had the issue with the doors blowing open a bit during highway speeds, but the mechanics adjusted the PSI on the cylinder above the door, and it's holding better now.

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  09:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have had air and electric door buses since 2004 in my yard. all the air doors I have come across only keep door pressurized when key is on or bus is running. If needed a person should be able to add a relay that would operate door with key in the accessory position. so they would work similar to electric in accessory position

But if doors linkages are adjusted correctly doors should not blow open when key is off. should be just a touch of tension on linkage between doors enough to keep shut but not so much that it binds or damages them or the door brackets.

you said mechanics adjusted air pressure to keep doors from blowing or pulling open in the wind, air pressure shouldn't need be over 40psi as recommended by IC if door linkages are properly adjusted.

As I said I have had both types here since 04 and as long as I keep doors adjusted properly have not had a problem keeping them shut or pulling in wind when driving. and have never had to increase air pressure to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolbus56

United States
128 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  3:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with what you say slippert. On the 2013 Model IC buses and later the pressure is now recommended at 60psi. I for one, is having minor issues with the doors blowing open at highway speeds. The service rep from IC has been adjusting and repairing the door. Once we find a solution that works I will keep everyone updated.

wow.
Go to Top of Page

Rlongyear

4 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  10:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rlongyear's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My dealer just told me I have to pay $1,500 for a updated cylinder per bus to repair the doors from coming open going down the road, they said they couldn't see it being a safety hazard, so it's not covered under warranty this has been an issue on all four of our new 2013 busses from day one.
Go to Top of Page

mike9

19 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  11:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same problem with air door on new i/c,adjusted air up to 60psi per dealer
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  12:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another reason why you do NOT need a 36" door on a school bus.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  12:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys NEED to make contact with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ link to online reporting. We used to have a member here with NHTSA who attempted to get guys to talk about his issue some years ago.

There has been one student ejection at low speeds reported in Ohio. We know of the driver in Alabama was ejected (no seat belt) prior to his bus plunging off an overpass. IC should see this an a safety concern.
Go to Top of Page

Midwest

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  07:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Stewart,

We have had good success repairing any complaints like this one. Your dealer should speak with their CSE if they have questions.

Full disclosure - we sell and service IC buses. A tremendous number of customers tell us they love the wider door in this age of backpacks and instruments.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  10:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iKNow #IK22000116
New procedures for electric and air.
The air adjustment basically states that the air door mechanism can operate safely at full bus air pressure.

https://evalue.internationaldelivers.com/service_kb/DocTool/ArticleViewer.aspx?ControlID=5898&SEQLanguage=1001

Edited by - second.flood on 03/15/2013 10:47:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Midwest

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  10:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, your dealer can do this plus any other repairs to rectify the issue.
Go to Top of Page

Rlongyear

4 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  06:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rlongyear's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Midwest, please tell me why I have had these busses to midwest transit in Indy for repair and they told me it needs a new cylinder but it is not warranty
Go to Top of Page

Midwest

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  08:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call me at 800-933-2412 and I will find out. Please have the VIN.

Thanks,

Barry Huebner
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  03:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE:

Hey guys just an update here on my door. After a few adjustments and about an hour worth of time the door closes great, and stays closed. The pressure is set to 90 instead of 60. The adjustment rods needed some TLC. Our main mechanic was out for a few days, so someone else worked at it and was able to fix it properly.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

Rlongyear

4 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  10:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rlongyear's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My dealer has came and installed the new cylinder kits and now I am having no issues with doors coming open at highway speeds. Guys you have to be pushy with your IC dealer to get these replaced it has taken me since August to get my four done.
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  5:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rlongyear

My dealer has came and installed the new cylinder kits and now I am having no issues with doors coming open at highway speeds. Guys you have to be pushy with your IC dealer to get these replaced it has taken me since August to get my four done.

Sorry to drag back an old topic, but would anyone have a part number for one of these "updated cylinders"? Our doors are still giving us problems here, by opening and flapping at highway speeds.

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  09:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am new to working on buses and the older mechanic in our shop says we have a 05 IC busthat has an electric door on it that doesnt work when its hot outside. He says toward the end of its route that it will stop working. He has changed over $300 in relays trying to fix it. They have sent the bus to dealers and they have claimed to fixed the problem, but the door still stops working. Has anyone had similar issues with these doors? Would it be the motor, solenoids, or ? He said he placed a drop light in the fuse and relay compartment and heated it up to where it would not work..this bus is a O5 with only 80,000 miles on it because of this issue. Thanks for any feedback
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  09:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheRide

I am new to working on buses and the older mechanic in our shop says we have a 05 IC busthat has an electric door on it that doesnt work when its hot outside. He says toward the end of its route that it will stop working. He has changed over $300 in relays trying to fix it. They have sent the bus to dealers and they have claimed to fixed the problem, but the door still stops working. Has anyone had similar issues with these doors? Would it be the motor, solenoids, or ? He said he placed a drop light in the fuse and relay compartment and heated it up to where it would not work..this bus is a O5 with only 80,000 miles on it because of this issue. Thanks for any feedback

this problem is usually caused by misadjusted limit switches that keep the electric door motor energized in the door closed position. The motor heats up and quits functioning until it cools down.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 10/30/2013 09:46:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2013 :  09:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok we will check it out maybe next week as we have too much going on today and tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000