Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Coolant loss ????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  2:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 91 Dt466 that I replaced the liner O rings. The engine has over 200,000 miles on her. The district didn't want me to do an in frame due to cost.Ever since then when I come back the surge tank is bubbling inside.I pressurized the system to 18 pounds and let it sit. No loss . After I also noticed coolant on the springs and frame. So I started bus up and no pressure build up exceeding 16 pounds. When when I removed the tester I touched one of the hoses leading to the tank it released air bubbles into the tank. What could this be ? I do notice when the bus is being run hard the heaters will work and then go cold and then heat up again. help !!

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  2:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some things I would try:
Have you tried pressure testing after the engine is warmed up? Or doing a complete drain/refill to be sure you get all the air out?

Are you opening up the top of the system when adding coolant to bleed the air out? Does this bus have manual heater control valves? Are you opening them when refilling the coolant? Any water on the oil dipstick?
Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  8:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried all those things.Bleeding the heaters off filling the system thru the surge tank.I tried doing things when they are hot.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  03:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hot-cold-hot-cold heaters ring a bell...had a 91 doing the same thing some years ago...head problem. Be it cracked or the gasket, sounds like you may be pumping combustion into the cooling system.

The coolant laying on springs and frame, happen to be where the surge tank overflow ends up?

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 10/24/2012 03:44:36 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000