2011 vision
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  4:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2011 vision today while parked in nuetral and idling for a short time all of a sudden rev up to 3000rpms for a few seconds and back down to normal and causethe check engine and transmission light come on and noticed that the speedo is showing about 10mph. has anyone seen this happen yet. Thaks maxx.

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  5:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have run it again and was able to get these codes off the on board diag. 191, 19 and 84, 19 from the engine diag, screen.
Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  7:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after running bus some more this afternoon when the engine revs up to 2800 the speedometer moves in unison with the tach. and if I start the bus and it looks like it is going to be running normal and I eccellerate about 50 to 100 rpms the speedometer starts to show 5 to 10 miles per hour and i let it idle again the speedo will bounce back and forth and the parking brake light will blink when the speedometer with the speedometer movement.Thanks maxx
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I wonder if the instrument panel is not communicating with the ECU? Get someone to plug a laptop in.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  1:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had been searching where there had been some problems with the insturment panel having a short on some visions and was thinking this may be a problem with this bus. I is strange how this thing will just rev up like that for a few seconds and then just go back to normal idle.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  08:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maxx62

I had been searching where there had been some problems with the insturment panel having a short on some visions and was thinking this may be a problem with this bus. I is strange how this thing will just rev up like that for a few seconds and then just go back to normal idle.

I had a similar problem in the past that needs mentioning. It was a 2008 BBCV with a Cummins. The coolant level sensor in the tank leaked coolant which ran down the wiring harness and into the engine ECU. Check for coolant at both ends of the harness. Easy enough to check and save your Cummins dealer a lot of diagnostic time.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  10:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generally if you are getting a data problem to the Actia gauges (or a cluster failure), they will go into "windshield wiper" mode where all the gauges sweep together. But it would be worth checking in with your BB tech - they can talk to the Actia rep and see if this is yet another problem with the clusters.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  6:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The coolant level connector is something i check on regularly, I have had that problem with my 2006 vision. When the speedo and tach do there sweep and no other gauges are affected the speedo goes up to 100mph and the tach goes up to 2800 they about the same amount at the same time,and the engine actually revs up all this lasts for about 3 seconds. This afternoon after looking through quickserve and looking up the codes that I did get 191,19 I swapped the front and rear speed sensors and same results, I just disconnected the ground speed the rear one and started it back up and the problem stopped, I just don't have ground speed. Not sure if I have short in the wiring or a computer problem. I don't have insight to hook a computer up to it yet but i am working on getting it soon. Thank you for your input gentlemen. maxx.
Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  6:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This afternoon while checking connections and wiring I was idling the bus and the speedometer was going up and down between 5 and 10 mph hour and rpms jumping up alittle, I got under the bus and noticed when the speed and rpms where jumping around the drive shaft is rocking back and forth and i unplugged the speed sensor at the back of the transmission and it would quite doing it, plug it back in and would start rocking again, Has anybody seen this before. Thanks maxx.

Edited by - maxx62 on 10/16/2012 6:29:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  08:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Staying tuned here, can't wait to hear the fix for this. Would this be an air or hydraulic brake system? Which transmission are they still Gen4? It's strange that the driveshaft moves as you described. Does it do it both cold and warmed up?

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 10/17/2012 08:55:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  12:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what generation it is I haven't looked at the tag but the on screen diagnostics shows it to be a 2500. And it does it hot or cold. It is strange how I can unplug the speed pickup and it will quite doing it. I am going to pull a speed pickup off another bus tonite and leave the orignal in the socket and plug in the other and let it hang off the side and see if that changes anything, and also check the shifter arm to see if it is really in neutral. When I shift into forward or reverse it seems to act normal. I can't wait to see the fix either.
Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  12:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has air brakes.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  2:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have two 2001 Visions, you might try swapping dashes - we're still having issues with our 2012 units, but they are full dashboard failures which disable the bus.

Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  5:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish i had one, We have 2007,2008,and 2010 and the rest are way older. The 2010 mounts differently but i may pull and see if the connections are the same if you think it might work, This bus has a body date of 2011 and a year model of 2013.
Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  5:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also noticed today that when the speedo is 20 mph and it is not actually moving it is putting miles on.
Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  5:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pulled the gauge cluster completly out tonite and its build date is 2011, I went to actia website and they have a bulletin out for these gauge clusters for 2010 and 2011, Thanks partsman for bringing that to my attention and getting me to dig a little deeper. Just did not expect to find a 2011 cluster in a so called 2013 bus.Thanks again maxx for everyone's input,still struggling along until i can get some modern diagnostic equipment.
Go to Top of Page

busman53725

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  8:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit busman53725's Homepage  Reply with Quote
maxx62. Check your alternator for a/c voltage output and or disconnect pos/neg at alt and see if speedometer/odometer go back to 0. If so replace alt. I chased this issue in a 04 thomas flatnose
with a 3126E cat.hth Busman53725
Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  7:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well busman I disconnected the alternator and and ran the bus a minute and everything seemed to be good nothing going crazy. As I was putting the positive cables back on I noticed there was some excess red corosion protective coating between the two positive cables, I cleaned them and reconnected and started bus back up and everything seems to be back to normal. I had checked the voltage output with a volt meter and it did not show anything out of the ordianary a couple of days ago. Time will tell if that was the problem THanks for all the help everyone. Maxx
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  06:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I pulled the gauge cluster completly out tonite and its build date is 2011, I went to actia website and they have a bulletin out for these gauge clusters for 2010 and 2011, Thanks partsman for bringing that to my attention and getting me to dig a little deeper. Just did not expect to find a 2011 cluster in a so called 2013 bus.Thanks again maxx for everyone's input,still struggling along until i can get some modern diagnostic equipment.

Get yourself an old xp laptop and a interface like a Nexiq USBLink. The software is not that hard to get. Some have free trial periods but you can at least view data and codes. Good call on the Alternator Bussman, that red rockcandy coating does cause problems on the Visions.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  3:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can you post a link to that bulletin? Our Visions are most likely the reason for its being issued - I've probably had at least 20 failures in my 5 2012 Visions.

Go to Top of Page

maxx62

United States
106 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  7:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.docstoc.com/docs/48377211/ACTIA-Instrument-Cluster

Seems that cleaning the cables on the back of the alt has done the trick. Hope this link helps you out. maxx
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  02:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is also an issue with the Stoneridge gauges.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  12:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, THAT bulletin. That's just telling you how to program a replacement unit. I thought you had seen something about the power supplies blowing out from minor power transients...

Go to Top of Page

tgut

7 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  08:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had an 03 Thomas that had almost this same issue yesterday. Speedo acting like tach in neutral, multiple codes, dash lighting up. This old thread saved me A LOT of time as I went straight for the battery and alternator and found the battery as the culprit even though it had load tested fine. New battery in, codes cleared and speedo back to zero in neutral. I really appreciate all the wisdom I find in this forum! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000