Reconditioning the school bus environment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2012 :  4:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reconditioning the school bus environment

When a bus monitor/assistant is assigned to a school bus and training proceeds to mimic the bus driver’s previous student management practices, which did not work to secure the bus environment, obviously these sort of redundant practices from the additional help can bring the same results.

The actual issue involved can be the same from bus to bus – the uncivil have taken charge of the bus environment.

Click Here for full story

Edited by - JK on 09/30/2012 4:27:11 PM

coolbuskid

51 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consistent use of seatbelts can rapidly bring about a quieter bus ride. One of my pet peeves is seeing the bus monitors setting a bad example by not wearing the seatbelts themselves. It's a typical "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. The students have to buckle up, but employees can exempt themselves. The systems are there for a reason! That's what we pay for, and they should be utilized!

A problem with educator "discipline" training is that the same bad educators that mishandle a classroom can end up telling new educators how to yell at students and do useless paperwork instead of teaching. The same problem can happen on schoolbuses, where drivers and bus monitors are influenced to follow fixed discipline methods that distract from the job of driving the bus. An example was one driver who followed district administrative policy by writing a naughty slip and passing it back to the allegedly-misbehaving student while driving, and in the moment of distraction drifted into the oncoming traffic and had a head-on collision.

The troubled schoolbus routes I've seen may start with a few bad students, usually younger children. Escalation happens when the driver or bus monitor starts yelling pre-written phrases. Johnny, you need to sit down! Amanda, turn around a face the front! Chris, you're going to be written up if you don't go back to your seat! Johnny, I told you before to stop talking. Robbie, you're out of your seat again. Second warning! Meanwhile, the bus is rolling down the road at some speed, and there's nobody driving.

Seatbelts make figuring out where and what the problem is very easy. It's hard to be disruptive with the seatbelt on, and so anyone who's disruptive is probably not following that one rule. Deal with that problem from unruly riders, and most of the other distracting behaviors are diminished.

Edited by - coolbuskid on 10/05/2012 12:35:24 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000