New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  05:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old FS 65 that I am having a draw that is taking my batteries down in about 30 hours or so. I have narrowed it down to the small gauge wire that is hooked to the positive side of the battery and has a regular size spade fuse in the battery box. Does anyone know what that feeds?
Thanks

eicsbus

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  06:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
webesto heater ???

I.C. NO FUTURE

formally ,,,,wright11
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  07:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, this thing is pretty basic. No Wabesto, no air.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  09:04:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 way radio or camera installed by someone else? Thats so weird to me...none of my FS65's had any such thing.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  10:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dealer thinks it goes to the ecm. I am sending this one out to be repaired. I have too many things going on to handle this. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what they find out.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  10:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please do!
Go to Top of Page

wrench44

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  11:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit wrench44's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Make sure it does not got to the 8 way system I had some of them and the 8 way system was wired hot all the time I changed the wire to key on only to get rid of the drain.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  12:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The outside shop found the heated mirror relay stuck on. I am NOT convinced this was the problem, I think this circuit is off when the key is off. I'll find out on Monday or actually Tuesday (because it only runs down over the weekend-- and this weekend is a long one too).

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  10:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going with a bad alt regulator!!

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12081

Darn Freightliners anyway!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  2:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruled that out first thing. Thanks

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  3:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The old sticky relay.... You may want dig through those mirror circuits a bit to see if there has been any progressive damage.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  05:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JustinB

The old sticky relay.... You may want dig through those mirror circuits a bit to see if there has been any progressive damage.

Meaning??

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

eicsbus

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  06:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what year brian?,,,cant see it being the mirror circuit as it is only on with the key on

I.C. NO FUTURE

formally ,,,,wright11
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  09:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's an '03. That's what I was thinking. I really hate taking stuff out to be repaired, this happens more than not to me. I even told them "I don't want to pay for a lot of diagnosis time on this. The draw is from the circuit that is feed by a 20 amp fuse in the battery box". I think it went in one ear and out the other. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  11:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but what happens if you just yank that fuse out? If nothing stops working OH WELL!
Go to Top of Page

Offroadwolf

41 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  1:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Offroadwolf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have one IC bus that was orginally wired with those stupid mirror heaters with battery power. Previous tech added a switch instead of moving it to an ignition source. But I am with Thomasbus24, pull the fuse then start the bus and just find what doesnt work. Can you find a spot and move the fuse to an ignition power instead of direct battery feed? What engine is it?
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  2:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hook an ammeter inline and tell us what draw is. More clues man, come on!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  10:03:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but what happens if you just yank that fuse out? If nothing stops working OH WELL!

Cranks but won't start. Makes me think it's the ECM

Wolf, I didn't do that but after this weekend I probably will. lol

Bryan

Edited by - bwest on 10/04/2012 10:03:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Offroadwolf

41 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  08:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Offroadwolf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If that is an ECM fuse for direct battery power to the ECM, then it shouldn't be drawing power when the bus is off. Ignition power should shut the ECM down. Is this a CAT engine? Does the bus have any add on systems? I am wondering has somethinig been tied in down the line and is drawing power. The only battery draw problems I've seen with the CATs, besides the starter or alternator, have been the grid heater solenoid sticking and having a small amp draw, and one with a corroded plug on the ECM. It was corroded just enough to have a small draw, took me forever to find it. Do you have an amp clamp? With everything off just start putting the clamp on everything and see whats reading current flow. And Im with Wolf, we need more clues, and were are all dying to know what it is! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  5:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hate to have to ask this but have the batteries been load tested and the alternator output checked? One dead cell is all it takes to drag the others down.
That ECM wire may show a 12V drain, just like the alternator, yet it may only draw a tiny amperage.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 10/05/2012 6:04:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  8:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Offroadwolf

If that is an ECM fuse for direct battery power to the ECM, then it shouldn't be drawing power when the bus is off. Ignition power should shut the ECM down. Is this a CAT engine? Does the bus have any add on systems? I am wondering has somethinig been tied in down the line and is drawing power. The only battery draw problems I've seen with the CATs, besides the starter or alternator, have been the grid heater solenoid sticking and having a small amp draw, and one with a corroded plug on the ECM. It was corroded just enough to have a small draw, took me forever to find it. Do you have an amp clamp? With everything off just start putting the clamp on everything and see whats reading current flow. And Im with Wolf, we need more clues, and were are all dying to know what it is! LOL!

This is a cat. I'm going to have to get an amp clamp for my Fluke I guess. Only ad on is a camera and it is not staying on.

IBT, I have a very good battery/system tester and batteries and alt are good.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000