Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Which engine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kingdel

2 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  2:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kingdel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there

I am in the UK and I have a big problem. I have been told my bus needs the engine replacing. The mechanics cannot find any engine number. I believe it is a 6.0L Cummins but that's all I know. I would like to source an engine here, as I believe the same engine has been used a number of trucks worldwide. Could anybody advise exactly what I need to be searching for please? Many thanks DC

I think it is a 1995 Ford Cab, Carpenter body, I will try to work out how to put a picture up

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  9:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it came from the states I would say it has a 5.9 cummins. Tag should be on the timing cover. Same engine in several applications, as you suspect. That's about the extent of my knowledge. I'm sure there are several on here who can help you must better than I. Good luck.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

kingdel

2 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  02:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit kingdel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much, good guy. It did come from the USA and it most likely is a 5.9 Cummins, I am sure you are right. There is no longer any plate on the engine to identify it. I am concerned if i purchase another engine, whether it will be ok to swop over. I am in the UK so my choice is more limited. It is a 1995 and has a Chassis number on the papers: 1FDXB80C95VA21450 Does anybody know from this information how I would be best to proceed? Really appreciate any comments.
Thanks DC
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  06:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cummins are built here in Indiana and shipped world wide. You should be able to find one easy. They have a listing in Buckinghamshire England as well.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

eicsbus

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  12:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if the engine has 6 valve covers it is most likely a 12 valve 5.9 cummins

I.C. NO FUTURE

formally ,,,,wright11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000