Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 fuel lines for detroit diesel 8.2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mojojojo

11 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  2:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit mojojojo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
where do the fuel lines enter a 8.2L detroit diesel '83? i have not been able to locate injectors or pump. i have very little knowledge of this so please give a layman description. thank you.

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4170 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  6:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The 8.2L Detroit used unit injection with a single pump, meaning that a pump pressurized fuel to a "rail" in each cylinder head (though rail is too modern of a word). The tops of the injectors were submerged in this rail, supplying them fuel. The camshaft in each head would mechanically activate each injector independently. The large pressures necessary for fuel injection were created entirely within each injector.

I have a 1985, but I do not believe a 1983's layout is too different. The gear-type fuel pump is in the front of the valley between the banks of cylinders. It is driven from the gear train at the front of the engine. The pump's source of fuel is a connection at the back of the engine. From the pump, fuel lines go down the front curbside to the filter, then back up the curbside to the fuel rail on same side. Where it connects to that fuel rail, there is a an elbow which connects to the branch of the line that crosses to the roadside fuel rail. The returns are at the back of each cylinder bank, and those connect at the rear of the engine then head back to the fuel tank. If nothing has been changed, all connections on the engine are metal lines. On my Ford, the flexible connection between the back of the engine and the chassis rail is on the curbside rail. If I recall correctly, they have a fitting to pass them through the chassis rail.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

mojojojo

11 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  6:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit mojojojo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thank you, very helpful
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000