Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2008 Thomas C-2 Bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Abetterchimney

27 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  10:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abetterchimney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a 2008 bus that has the check battery light on (Batteries are new) and the voltmeter gauge will jump all over the place once in a while and when it does you cant shut the bus off if you turn it off it will stay running. Once you get it to calm down (by waiting) you can turn off the bus and start it like normal

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  12:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Check the wiring around the alternator especially the 200 amp. Leece/Nevill's the power sensing wire could be shortet to battery voltage.
Go to Top of Page

Abetterchimney

27 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  09:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abetterchimney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Checked the wires, And they all checked out good when the bus is messing up and reading six volts on the dash if i disconnect the battery it dies.....Just had the alternator rebuild to the tune of 450 but am starting to wonder if it is the Alternator
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  03:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try another ignition switch the cheap ones they install are often worn out early on in life. When your volt gauge jumps around do other things malfunction? Do you have access to service link through freightliner?
Go to Top of Page

Abetterchimney

27 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  10:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abetterchimney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WHen the gauge is jumping around all the gauges are going haywire
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  12:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dash Power or Ground. My bet is on ground....

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Abetterchimney

27 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  1:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abetterchimney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ground at the battery? It was just wierd that the place we took it to said they needed to rebuild the alternator and then after they was done it is no better
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  03:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The alternator place made their money...if it didn't work...they won't care. I'm with JustinB...go clean your grounds. Battery, chassis, body, the whole nine yards. Don't forget over to the left of the driver seat, down in the console. Down home they had a C2 that refused to shut off, was a loose ground over there.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  04:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is also a service bulliten on running a new ground wire from the stud above the drivers shoulder to the ground stud on the power distribution modual under the switch panel next to the switch hub modual. It calls for a 8 ga. wire
Go to Top of Page

lehane78

5 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  06:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit lehane78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Abetterchimney

We have a 2008 bus that has the check battery light on (Batteries are new) and the voltmeter gauge will jump all over the place once in a while and when it does you cant shut the bus off if you turn it off it will stay running. Once you get it to calm down (by waiting) you can turn off the bus and start it like normal

Go to Top of Page

lehane78

5 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  06:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit lehane78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had the same problem on one or two of our c2's. The first one ended up being a diode on the leece neville alternator, and the second was a loose ground on the fire wall under the driers area under the bulkhead module.
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  1:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lehane78

We had the same problem on one or two of our c2's. The first one ended up being a diode on the leece neville alternator, and the second was a loose ground on the fire wall under the driers area under the bulkhead module.

That is the one most likely to deal with the gauge pack.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Abetterchimney

27 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  2:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abetterchimney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys i am going to check it out and let you know
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000