New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  11:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I have a 13' IC/CE with an air entrance door. Just wondering if anyone had any tips to make these doors stay closed? Even with the door closed and locked, the door will hang open about 3 inches when the bus is parked. The mechanics say "It doesn't close any tighter than that. It's the best you are gonna get!"

Anybody's thoughts on this?

Edited by - 1983ChevroletWayne on 11/26/2012 5:38:39 PM

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  06:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the door adjustment is set properly would this issue be solved? Or is everyone having this issue. This bus has been like this since it was sent to us from the factory.

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  07:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our 2012 and older IC air doors simply have a solenoid above the door that swings a bar down to catch the door linkage, our doors don't get held tight but they certainly don't allow a 3" gap with normal force and door adjustment would not change this.
If you have the new style door linkage with a bellcrank, some or all 2013s may be of this design, then I don't know how the lock mechanism functions. If it were mine I would open the access panel above doors and have someone operate the lock and watch what happens.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  1:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Our 2012 and older IC air doors simply have a solenoid above the door that swings a bar down to catch the door linkage, our doors don't get held tight but they certainly don't allow a 3" gap with normal force and door adjustment would not change this.
If you have the new style door linkage with a bellcrank, some or all 2013s may be of this design, then I don't know how the lock mechanism functions. If it were mine I would open the access panel above doors and have someone operate the lock and watch what happens.

My bus has the newer bell crank system. Even when the door is adjusted properly it still allows the door to hang open about 2-3 inches when the air is off the system (when the bus is shut off). This 2-3 inch gap is there when the door is locked allowing all the outside elements inside (snow, wind, and rain).

Today I attached a heavy bungee cord to the front door panel of the entrance doors, and wrapped the other end around the base of the right overhead defrost fan. This tension allows the door to operate, but also holds the doors closed when the air is off the system. Rough set up but it works!

I'll just leave it this way until a solution for the problem comes up. They called the Canadian IC support, and they told us there were no updates to the 2013 air door systems as of yet.

Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  10:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[1983ChevroletWayne]- - Do you understand the liability you could be exposed to if the bungee cord should fail and snap back into your face?

The maintenance department should have the information or motivation to correct the problem in a reasonable amount of time.

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  5:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwight

[1983ChevroletWayne]- - Do you understand the liability you could be exposed to if the bungee cord should fail and snap back into your face?

The maintenance department should have the information or motivation to correct the problem in a reasonable amount of time.

Thank you for your reply. I've actually been thinking about that for the past few days, and I think I may just use the cord when I'm parking the bus overnight. I'll unhook it for my route.

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  5:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our '13 IC arrived with the 'newer' style vandal lock mechanism bent and out of adjustment. Someone had obviously yarned on the door while it was locked. They could not get in through the narrow opening, but the bent lock allows quite a lot of slack.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000