New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  09:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone done this retrofit for the throttle linkage? I got kit# 1997147 and things just are not looking right.

Edited by - Wolf0r on 09/18/2012 1:33:21 PM

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  11:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've sent the worn parts to a machinist who is going to rework it. Gonna send this box of crap back to BB since it don't fit. I think it was for a newer engine. Mine is not the VP44 style. The bracket doesn't clear the fuel tubes or the pump body.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  4:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've only heard about a few of the throttle linkage issues. I never drove a TC on a route with the P-Pump. Both the TC's I own have the VE pump, so I would imagine the linkage is a bit different. So far I haven't had any issues with mine.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  09:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matts4290

I've only heard about a few of the throttle linkage issues. I never drove a TC on a route with the P-Pump. Both the TC's I own have the VE pump, so I would imagine the linkage is a bit different. So far I haven't had any issues with mine.

I got the bracket back, the guy done a great job fixing it up. Now I just got to find the 72" modulator cable. I'm sending the $500+ retrofit kit back, as nothing fits. If you can get into the parts catalog it's drawing #1713668. Page set 0002608 for the part numbers. Most of the part numbers are no longer listed to buy. Too bad we can't post PDF files here.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  09:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For your viewing pleasure, voyage under the TC2000. Get your popcorn.
http://youtu.be/MaQemChDpnY
http://youtu.be/d-3ptYzYojY

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  5:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The YouTube description says you have a vacuum modulator installed until the cable arrives. How does that work???
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  08:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

The YouTube description says you have a vacuum modulator installed until the cable arrives. How does that work???

I pulled the modulator cable out and put the vacuum one in just to plug the hole and hold the pin in place. I ordered a new BB# 01495548, 72" teleflex/morse modulator cable. BB# 01478577 rod assy. and BB# 01276815 ball joint. The parts included in the service bulletin are not even close to fitting. I think it was designed for a newer 5.9. Anyway you might want to keep these part numbers handy. You can get a cable made from a Teleflex dealer from the numbers printed on the engine end of the cable jacket. I should have this jewel back to the school corp soon.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  08:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also I believe a guy could wire in a electric modulator, a relay and a micro switch. Or use a accel pedal switch from a truck with a 400 turbo. Thoughts?

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  6:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

Also I believe a guy could wire in a electric modulator, a relay and a micro switch. Or use a accel pedal switch from a truck with a 400 turbo. Thoughts?

That would make sense, though it seems you'd have to really mash that pedal to trigger a downshift if the switch is located at the end of travel and not restricting travel.

I asked about the vacuum modulator because I thought you meant you had it operating. I didn't realize it was just a place holder. Got it now!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  06:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes getting the switch in the right spot would be the hard part.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  2:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got it all back together. My pump was a P7100, I think the kit was for a VE type. The throttle works smoothly now. Another thing I had to deal with was the break over arm on the pump, the splines on the shaft and linkage arm were about gone.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  12:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got another one of these in. Worn out linkage, broken modulator cable and a grocery list of "while your in there" repairs. Air pump oil feed line, electric fan clutch, radiator hoses, LOL. 1994 TC2000 P7100 pump. Good old bus though worth fixing. I'm glad this thread is still here, I had lost the above part numbers. Googled my own thread.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 09/13/2013 12:49:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000