Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2012 International School Bus Wrench Dash Light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rondeau04

1 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  11:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rondeau04's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have two 2012 International School Buses both of which have the little wrench on the dashboard on. We got the oil changed and the mechanic is having trouble resetting the wrench and getting it to disappear. Does anyone know of the procedure to get the light to go away?

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  12:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Right from IC owners manual, amber wrench -- General warning light used in conjunction with other warning lights/systems, may be accompanied by an audible alarm ??? not really a good explanation I know.

So, chances are a fault code is active in one of the ECM's on board bus and as soon as code/problem is repaired it will clear light. I doubt it had anything to do with the oil. possibly a sensor for the emission and or exhaust filter system. I have had quite a few of the pressure diff sensors replaced under warranty on my newer ones, but don't recall if the wrench was lit up on dash or not.

Edited by - slippert on 08/08/2012 12:09:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

jperkins

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  5:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wrench lights I have seen on the dash is for the allison transmissions for prognostics feature it tells you that the filter life is expired or the fluid life is expired if unit has a 3000 pts trans you can use the shifter pad to determine with is due if a 1000 pts trans I would change the red spin on filter and then reset using shift selector in proper seq. if unit has close to 20,000 miles on it you will be able to get procedure from your local allison dist. i can post tommorrow after I get to work most wrench lights I have seen for this are a green light
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  03:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wrench light on my 2011 IC comes on when the oil change light comes on. When I reset the oil change light it always goes off.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  04:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ours are either allison fluid life or filter life. We reset all buses before they go out in the fall to avoid all the calls.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  04:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Going from my fleet the Allison Trans prognostics I.E filter and oil change intervals trigger the Ck Trans light to come on, when service is necessary. The oil change function I have shut off, to me it's just one more unneeded dash light.IMO

The way these new buses are, as you can see from above^^ it may depend on how your buses computer features are programed as to why your light is on. Might take a trip to your dealer to find out why as they should be able to see what is programed in ecm's and change parameters if needed. If your light on dash is staying on there is a message or fault code being sent to ECM to trigger light to come on or at least there should be. From the detailed explanation the owners manual and ISIS gives for that light,lol. There are a few different parameters that could trigger it. Hooking up to a computer sounds like your best bet, whether your shop has software or it needs to go to IH dealer.
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  12:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a 2010 International with a rear engine and the wrench light is on in between 2 N's on the gear shift light. It cranked but wouldn't start until I told him to push the gas pedal while cranking. Any thoughts on this?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  12:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rondeau04

We have two 2012 International School Buses both of which have the little wrench on the dashboard on. We got the oil changed and the mechanic is having trouble resetting the wrench and getting it to disappear. Does anyone know of the procedure to get the light to go away?

Does it say anything in the odometer display area?

US Army retired CMBT

Edited by - RonF on 04/12/2017 12:46:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  12:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To turn of the oil change message and wrench:

Turn key on, once voltage gauge get between 12 and 14 do the following quickly,

Cruise on
Cruise off
Cruise on
Resume/accel press 5 times, holding on the 5th until wrench goes out/message goes away.
Cycle the key.

IF it don't work, start over.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  1:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks I'll try that when the bus gets back. The check engine light comes on but nothing else on the dash.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  05:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe crmech7 is working on an MD3060 in an RE bus, so the wrench would be on the Allison keypad. The trick for the CE won't work in this instance.

I'm not where I can look at how to reset the keypad icons...anyone know off hand?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  06:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I believe crmech7 is working on an MD3060 in an RE bus, so the wrench would be on the Allison keypad. The trick for the CE won't work in this instance.

I'm not where I can look at how to reset the keypad icons...anyone know off hand?

My post was for the OP Rondeau04

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  07:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is interesting :)
Allison resets with a shifter (not sure if keypad are the same) are as follows KOEO
N-D-N-D-N-R-N for oil life monitor reset
N-R-N-R-N-D-N for filter life monitor reset
Pushbutton I think you have to push mode or something 1st. We dont have any so I cant remember.

But for the no start, cant think of anything off hand that a problem with the transmission would cause a crank and no start. So you possibly have a couple of things going on here.
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  07:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My post was for the OP Rondeau04
[/quote]

Sorry about that, I noticed that right after I replied.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  07:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, now I am even more confused, doesnt take much some days, glad we have a long weekend :)
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  08:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He brought the bus back, and the wrench only comes on when the key is first turned on, and goes off when all the other dash lights go off with the gauges cycle. so I don't think there was any problem with that. As for the cranking it's starting just fine with no engine light or anything else, so not sure what his problem was.
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  08:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torque

LOL, now I am even more confused, doesnt take much some days, glad we have a long weekend :)

Lol RonF said he wasn't replying to my post and I was acknowledging that. I just screwed up the quote in my reply. My bad!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  3:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll clear it all up. A guy has a bus and it has a light on. How does he fix it?

Y'all have a great Easter weekend!
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  11:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And...don't necropost a 5 yo topic that the OP never came back for.

Have a good weekend!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  06:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good Lord...I didn't even notice the original date!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000