School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Breaking News
 Enter Forum: Breaking News
 Are you one of those lazy bus drivers...?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  6:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you one of those lazy bus drivers that refuse to drive your school bus when sick?

To drive a school bus when too tired or sick can bring all sorts of praise from your boss, office staff, and thumbs-up from some of your fellows.

100-percent days worked can bring company praise, notoriety, and awards, including cash awards and yearly bonuses at some facilities.

Over time, you may become known as the bus driver that achieved the impossible.

When you drive tired or while ill, even most parents are happier. Substitute bus drivers are sometimes off schedule or off route, and may not know their passengers and where they board and depart. Mistakes can happen when the substitute driver is unfamiliar with the route...

Click Here for Article

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  10:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody with a brain knows their limit too. If you're sick, tired, or both I'd rather you just rest personally. Driving tired (extreme exhaustion) can be just as dangerous, if not more dangerous than driving under the influence of alcohol. When you're dealing with a school bus, or any vehicle I don't encourage you to drive tired just to have "100% attendance," who cares, that's what sub drivers are for. As far as illness goes, you're still not going to be as alert if you feel like your head is spinning and you're doped up on nyquil still from your binge on it the night before in an attempt to get some sleep.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  05:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We get a $75 bonus for each quarter that we have perfect attendance. That's $300 a year! However, I am a lazy bus driver, and will not drive my bus unless I'm at 90% or above. AND I give my coworkers a hard time about coming to work sic, for two reasons.

1. It's not safe to drive when you are sick because (A) you're not getting enough good rest to be alert and (B) you're probably hopped up on DayQuil or some other meds that get you through the day.
2. I'm healthy, why are you bringing all those germs to work to spread them around and endanger your co-workers and the students on your bus?

(Above is probably one of the reasons I'm not popular with my coworkers. There's other reasons too, I know.)
Go to Top of Page

WallyG
Advanced Member

United States
255 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  09:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny how more people call off "sick" on Mondays and Fridays. What about the FLU season around the time the IRS is passing out the tax refunds. Driver absenteeism is a huge problem in this business.
Go to Top of Page

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2012 :  5:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WallyG

Funny how more people call off "sick" on Mondays and Fridays. What about the FLU season around the time the IRS is passing out the tax refunds. Driver absenteeism is a huge problem in this business.

C'mon Wally do you really want these drivers driving Friday morning after Thirsty Thursdays or with a Monday morning hangover.

All kidding aside I agree that driver absentee is a problem in this business. Calling in sick is not necessarily the problem(at least in my district). The problem in my distirct are driver's that take a vacation or multiple vacations throughout the school year that do not fall on school vacation weeks. Some drivers taking 2+ weeks in a row.

Regarding calling in sick if you compare the drivers calling in sick to the teachers calling in sick, the teachers easily take the lead. I've witnessed 25+ teachers out sick at one high school with a faculty of 150 in one day. If we ever came close to that ratio kids would be walking to and from school.

School Bus M8
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000