New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  11:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

There is a 2010 C2 (6.7 Auto) out at our shop that won't start for the mechanics. When you turn the key to the start position the bus does nothing. No clicking or anything. The dash lights up saying "Check Engine" & "Range Inhibit."

The key switch was replaced by another new one, but still no luck.

Relays under the hood for "Ignition" were replaced with new. I had suggested that maybe the bus thinks it's in a drive gear (even though it's in netural) The wiring harness for the transmission was checked and sprayed with a water displacing grease. Still no luck.

The only power in the key switch harness was from the terminal at the very top. all the other terminals have no fire. Is this normal?

The driver had complained about the bus acting up every now and again, and not starting, but would eventually start if you let it sit for a minute. Now the bus won't start at all.

Anyone else ever have an issue like this?

Offroadwolf

41 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  12:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Offroadwolf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the park brake switch is not telling the multiplex system on the bus that the park brake is set. I only have 07 C-2's, the older units had a lot of problems with the air management units, but I was under the impression that was cured in the newer models. But I would look into the park brake first.
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  12:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much. I'll pass that along.

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  11:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had similar issues and one turned out to be a broken wire inside the loom that comes off the back of the smaller fuse block under the hood. The other time it was one of the transmission fuses in the same small block. The fuse had a tiny hairline crack in it so when I pushed down on the fuse with the tester it worked, but without that pressure the ends weren't meeting so it was like having a blown fuse.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  2:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the ground wires on the starter. I had one that the ground post came loose inside the housing causing intermittent problems like you describe. The post will be loose if you grab the wires and try to move them.
Go to Top of Page

Abetterchimney

27 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  2:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abetterchimney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had our bus do the same thing, found the fuses under the hood had a small hairline crack in there replaced all the fuses and bam thing started right up and runs good.
Go to Top of Page

Abetterchimney

27 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  6:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abetterchimney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But our bus see's alot of dirt bumpy roads
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  5:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going out to the bus garage tomorrow to see if they are making any progress with that C2.

Go to Top of Page

Abetterchimney

27 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  09:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abetterchimney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DId you ever get it figured out?
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  4:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Abetterchimney

DId you ever get it figured out?

Sorry about the dead thread. We had found that the issue was a small white wire under the hood that had split. It was bundled in with about thirty other wires beside the chassis fuse box, and covered in wiring loom. This one small wire caused a big headache! Some of these wires are so small and fragile!

Thanks for the help, and sorry about the delay! I always like to follow up on these problems, and hope it will help someone else out!

Edited by - 1983ChevroletWayne on 02/04/2013 4:52:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  5:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s my “go- to” spot on these buses whenever I have a no start/range inhibit situation. I’ve brought a few back from the side of the road by simply jiggling that wire loom while someone else is turning the key. After that it’s either a cracked fuse or a zebra striped wire that couldn’t take the vibration anymore! It’s crazy how many tiny wires they cram into the plastic wire conduit, and most of the time that’s what caused the problem. The wiring also likes to rub inside the conduit that runs to the TCM in the battery box area underneath causing the occasional check trans light. It still amazes me that one tiny wire or fuse can down a bus.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000