New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  07:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm putting VDO gauges from a AAFE in my Ford F-100 truck. The panel is from a F-600 grain truck. The BB speedometer is too small so I had to order a 4" Vision series and a tachometer from Summit. I got the small gauges pretty cheap from BB. I have to install a 10-180 ohm sender in the new fuel tank. My factory C6 speed sensor should work with the speedo. The water and oil senders for the cummins isb fits my 5.0 ford. I also will be using a delay wiper switch from a BB in the truck as well.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  07:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool! What year is the truck? Let me guess....... 1973?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  09:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

That's cool! What year is the truck? Let me guess....... 1973?

I got the panel at Johnson's I think it may have been a 73 or so. I think ford still had the bumpside on the MD Fords up to 75 I was told? The truck I am working on is a 72 F-100 bumpside. In 1973 the light trucks were dent sides with a new body style. He said I could have that crew cab for $500 with the rear doors. I wish I had the room for it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  10:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they last longer in your truck than they do in the buses!!! Does look pretty darn cool though.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  2:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I hope they last longer in your truck than they do in the buses!!! Does look pretty darn cool though.

I have decent luck with the VDOs. The display going blank on the speedos and tachs is the only issue I've saw. My instrument panel is not exposed to direct sunlight or heat so I should be OK. I almost bought the Stewart Warner white face but I don't like the idea of DIP switches for the speedo. All I have to do is drive a mile push the button and my speedo is calibrated. I have the BB/VDO software to input the PPM and change the odometer reading also.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  1:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Send me your old Tell Tale!

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  1:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope your turn signals don't beep. LOL

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  09:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matts4290

Send me your old Tell Tale!

The old F600 cluster was all gauges like you see in a 80's B700. Not really a tell tale. My plastic factory 72 cluster is sold already. I do need to add a check engine lamp and turn signal indicators in the arrow cut outs. Are you looking for a TC 2000 type tell tale? I might have one.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  09:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bluebirdvision

I hope your turn signals don't beep. LOL

No beeping, but the HD flasher is kinda noisy.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  04:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the TC type is the same as the AA, then yes! I believe mine is shorted, but I need to confirm it with a multimeter. Last time I checked with the dealer, it was a couple hundred bucks for it.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  2:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matts4290

If the TC type is the same as the AA, then yes! I believe mine is shorted, but I need to confirm it with a multimeter. Last time I checked with the dealer, it was a couple hundred bucks for it.

I have one with 6 dip switches in the back and 22 LEDs. I think it's for the Actia dash though. There are some bad solder joints on it, was in the warranty pile. I thought the older VDO panels were smaller and had 2 0r 3 dips. I got to dig out some manuals.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000