New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  10:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a mechanic...2012 IC CE with air door, turn style switch is located on the control panel. Has toggle style "emergency" and "normal" switch just above door. All this happens in "normal" mode. When the door is opened, the outward opening leafs tend to flap in the wind so to speak. Students generally pull on them a little to squeeze by. The door closes tight. and stays closed. I've noticed the plunger style door opener doesn't seem to have much holding it up (a couple washers, pin and cotter key through the bracket) and appears to fall down a little once the door is opened, which causes the leafs to seem loose. Anyone else encountered this? Air pressure is good according to the little guage on the line. Our first air operated door. Sister bus isn't having this issue.

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  1:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The linkage adjustment has alot to do with how door acts when opened and closed, also the brackets that are fastened to the door are adjustable and do come loose. Mine have all had to be tighten/adjusted after some use from new. I ck to make sure door is adjusted properly and all brackets linkages are tight and mounted correcly. The air cylinder has adjustments on both ends also, The doors are all aluminum and if a problem exsits at the door brackets and is not addressed, it doesn't seem to take long for it to loosen threaded inserts or crack door frame.

Edited by - slippert on 03/31/2012 2:24:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

topsfan

6 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  07:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit topsfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 2012 IC Bus with an air door and we continue to have problems with our door wanting to blow or pull open at higher speeds (highway) or when under windy conditions. The pressure has been adjusted several times and the mechanics road test, say all is ok, then we take it on a the road and back where we started. I am wondering if it is a seal problem at the base of the door rather than air pressure an/or switches?
Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  08:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the linkage and or brackets need to be adjusted. mine have come new adjusted in a way that the doors flap open and closed with the wind, when bus is parked,
and so when driving down road they want to do what you are saying above. I normally adjust them so when I close them there is a little tension on doors/linkage the last inch or two before completely closed. this has always cured driver complaints so far and they don't flap in the wind either.

Keep in mind if there is too much tension on doors/linkage you will probably see doors crack/break or brackets on door come loose faster than than they do already. As the door is made from aluminum

Adjust the linkages, it's probably not an air pressure problem
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  6:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the door is pulling open at highway speeds, IC has a fix for it. I have not seen this on CE buses with the door properly adjusted, only RE buses. Door adjustment procedure is published on ISIS. If you are sure the door is adjusted properly, buy the part which will fix the problem of door sucking open. It is part number 2596211C93. It is a check valve which holds air pressure in the air cylinder. Takes about 15minutes to install.
There is an IKNOW bulletin on it.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  11:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
^^^ The linkage adjustment has normally been my problem when the doors pull in the wind right from factory. Then as bus ages is used the brackets do come loose and cause issues. I include inspection of door and operator at every monthy pm service or 3-4000 miles. Also try to get drivers to pay attention and look for loose parts inbetween services. Thanks Brad for the info on ck valve, but as you stated normally don't have a problem as long as door is adjusted properly.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  3:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2012? Warranty!

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  4:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
^^^ Don't know about anybody else, but for a 5 to 10 minute door adjustment hasn't been worth the cost of fuel and wage paid out to run one to the dealer for adjustments.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  07:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

^^^ I include inspection of door and operator at every monthy pm service or 3-4000 miles.

Exactly what kind of inspection do you do on the operator? Physical only? Or mental as well?

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  10:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

quote:
Originally posted by slippert

^^^ I include inspection of door and operator at every monthy pm service or 3-4000 miles.

Exactly what kind of inspection do you do on the operator? Physical only? Or mental as well?

LOL, Well I meant the operating linkages and air cylinder or electric door operator. BUT with all the budget cuts that have happened and yet to come along, it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted me to give physicals and stress counseling
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  6:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just heard that IC is changing to a much larger air cylinder with speed control valves at each air port. This will keep the door closed tight and prevent it from slamming when the key is turned on.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

topsfan

6 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  7:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit topsfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had the check valve kit per the Iknow bulletin installed, didn't fix it. I will check linkage and inquire about the larger air cylinder and speed control valves.
Go to Top of Page

topsfan

6 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  1:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit topsfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still having issues with the door. Seemed better for awhile, but now back to pulling open. I did notice the assembly is different, seems to be missing a washer which is present on the other door. Could that be the problem? Wish you all could post a picture, or that I could to show you.
Struggle with the crossing arm also, it opens and closes as it feels like it.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  12:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't IC finally just say to crank the air regulator up to full pressure or was that just for the new style air door?
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  1:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes IC did release an IKnow about using system air pressure on the doors. I believe it applies to 2012 and up. I am with Slip on this that i usually find the door slightly out of adjustment anytime someone complains about flapping.
Go to Top of Page

seyster7

7 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  12:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit seyster7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen, the new style IC doors are significantly heavier than the old model along with a bigger air cylinder. I believe the new style says keep PSI at 60 and older its 40? I've been in buses with the pressure significantly lower causing the doors to flap. Haven't seen this on 2013+ buses tho, but as I'm sure everyone knows, there is a little procedure to cranking the pressure up ensuring they won't lose pressure over time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000