School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 SB License Renewal, What Does Your State Do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  4:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to get some information about the various renewal procedures for each state. Specifically, in the northeast (the person asking me for this info thinks that neighboring states will carry more weight), but I appreciate any input.

Here in CT, CDLs expire on average every 4 years (not counting a DMV glitch that resulted in some 6-year and some 2-year renewals a few years back). To renew the S endorsement, we have to take a proficiency test with a DMV inspector/agent. The test includes a full pre-trip, pickup and RR crossing procedures, and a road evaluation.

Proficiencies are a source of great stress for us all, since they're very strict about the pre-trip. They insist most items be verbalized in the correct order from memory. A lot of drivers have failed the first time around because they miss something minor on the pre-trip, or mix up the order on relatively minor things on the pickup or RR. It's especially difficult for older drivers, since the procedures have changed so many times in the past few years.

What do other states require?

(Edited thread subject only)

Edited by - bus724 on 03/13/2012 3:17:57 PM

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  05:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Other than a vision test, Ohio does not require anything for renewals (yet). We just go in every 4 years, lay down the cash, and get a new license. That is just for the CDL itself.

School bus drivers have to recert every six years in order to operate a school bus. That's 9 hours in the classroom, an on-road and pretrip test with a licensed trainer, new background checks. Again, that is only for operation of a school bus for pupil transportation.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  05:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The CDL itself is easy here. You just have to pay the fee and show a current medical card. All that other stuff is just to keep the S endorsement.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  08:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things like S and P we get to just keep as long as you had it in the first place. I think Hazmat is the only thing you have to retest for. Having S and P doesn't fully qualify you to drive school bus though...does it there? We have a program in the schools/contractors administered through the department of education for that.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  04:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Everything is done through DMV. There used to be a separate "public service" license, but that was merged into the CDL endorsements. If DMV puts that "S" on there, that means you're fully qualified to drive any school bus or other passenger-carrying CMV within your CDL's weight rating. I forgot to mention above that on the paperwork for a Proficiency, a state-certified trainer from the company or district has to sign off that you've had a certain amount of classroom training during the year (I believe 10 hours but don't quote me on that), and that he/she has evaluated your driving and procedures before sending you for the test.

The funny thing is, there's nothing at all to renew any of the lesser endorsements. If you fail the proficiency, you can do a voluntary downgrade and drive an activity bus, STV (school van), coach bus, transit bus, taxi, or livery. With those, all you have to do is show a medical card and pay the fee and you can keep driving until you die.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000