School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 Is First Student buying C2's instead of IC-Ce now?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  7:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two districts in my area which First Student holds the school bus contract have replaced their buses this year. Instead of Ic-Ce's First Student replaced the buses with Thomas C2's. Does anyone know if FS stopped buying IC-Ce's and now purchase C2's now?

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  7:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They might have been having problems with the DEF and stuff with the drivers and have switched to the C2, and the C2 has proven it gets better gas mileage than the CE, so it might be an overall better choice. I don't know for sure, but hopefully someone can chime in on it.

My School Bus Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tyler_officer/
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  9:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a back story behind it which I know.. but I won't share, there are reasons though.

It is true, they switched to the C2.
Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  10:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wanna know the story...it's no fun without the story. Is it bad?

Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  02:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.firststudentinc.com/news&id=194

From my understanding as of now there is no long term agreement. Thomas was the lower bid.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  06:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, First Student is buying C2s. I saw a new unit in NY just the other day.

quote:
Originally posted by 08BBVision

They might have been having problems with the DEF and stuff with the drivers and have switched to the C2, and the C2 has proven it gets better gas mileage than the CE, so it might be an overall better choice. I don't know for sure, but hopefully someone can chime in on it.

ICs do not have DEF, so that has nothing to do with them switching to C2s. C2s use DEF, and the DEF systems have been very reliable.

Also, here is an article from 2008...

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/Channel/Management-Training/News/2008/05/15/First-Student-IC-Bus-sign-deal-potentially-worth-12-billion.aspx
Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  06:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had no experience with the DEF system myself, I have just heard from truck drivers that it is hard to take care of at times. Anyway, I think it is cool that they are purchasing C2s now, I'm actuall surprised that Thomas had the lower bid, it's never been that way around my area.

Go to Top of Page

ThomasBuilt139

24 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  8:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit ThomasBuilt139's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why yes they have! Just last year my district got 5 2012 IC CEs, must've been some of the last they bought. The yard across the street from mine got 2 brand new C2s just this winter, and in NY Blackout paint no less!

Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  9:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, LED lights... looks like even the marker lights and warning lights. They really splurged on that one!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasBuilt139

24 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  10:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit ThomasBuilt139's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hahaha here's a higher quality view for you:

Edited by - ThomasBuilt139 on 03/27/2012 4:18:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  10:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw one of the new C2's the other day, it did have black rub rails though. I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw the LED lights on it.. I guess not.
Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  5:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bout time they stepped up their looks, needs tinted windows though, and that driver is really gonna curb those rear tires.

Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  7:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 78fordwayne

http://www.firststudentinc.com/news&id=194

From my understanding as of now there is no long term agreement. Thomas was the lower bid.

Thomas has a three year contract with First Student.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  11:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know.. I was just thinking about the LED lighting. NYS will be at some point soon mandating LED lighting on school buses. I know we just retrofitted over 80% of the fleet with LED brake, signal and reverse lights. This leads me to believe the state will require people to retrofit their fleets. Maybe First Student found it more cost efficient to just order the buses with LED lighting, rather than have the maintenance staff change out the lights.
Go to Top of Page

ihthomas665spd

12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  09:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ihthomas665spd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In 05 we were told that when Thomas stopped production of the FS65 we would stop receiving Thomas buses. In the summer of 06 we received our first CE 200s. We were told we would never see a C2 in First Student yard. I'm glad that First Student has gone back to Thomas, but if they continue to spec crap buses, they will continue to lose drivers. I drove a brand new CE 200 until it got cold, there was no way to get heat out of the darn thing. We found that they do not spec buses for northern states with the proper amount of insulation in the roof or the floor. I quickly gave my bus to a driver who wanted an automatic and took one of our "pre-First Student" buses for my route. Since 06 I have left first student and drove for a few school districts that own their own buses. Most of them buy IC's and these buses are much nicer than any First Student bus I ever drove.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasBuilt139

24 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  10:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit ThomasBuilt139's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just in case anyone wanted to see some more First Student Spec'd C2s,
here's a batch of 6 I believe 2014 models (maybe 2013) not yet numbered or lettered for the valley Central School district in Wallkill NY.

Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  09:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I see your C2s have the fuel doors on the wrong side like ours do. Thats a pain in the butt.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  1:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess the LEDs were a splurge, the new ones are back to incandescent!
Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  7:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see how FS specs their buses. I've never had a problem being cold in my CE..the defrost and driver's heater keep it pretty toasty once the bus has warmed up.

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  4:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Regarding the fuel door, could the outward-opening door have something to do with moving it to the other side? If you have to get close to a pump but have the door opening outwards it might be an issue.

My car ('04 VW Passat) has its fuel door on the passenger's side, which for a car is the "wrong side." It's nice not needing to worry about smashing the driver's door into the concrete islands the pumps are on or the metal poles around them, but it also means that, due to the roofs above the pumps, I get rained on if I get out to get gas in the rain. And it seems harder to use depth perception to get the car the right distance away from the pump.

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 01/15/2013 4:50:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  08:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Thomas EF

Regarding the fuel door, could the outward-opening door have something to do with moving it to the other side? If you have to get close to a pump but have the door opening outwards it might be an issue.

Hasnt been an issue for me or anyone I know.
Go to Top of Page

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  10:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More often than not, the fuel fill on a bus with a rear between the rails tank is relocated due to some type of option space claim issue. Rear lift doors on certain wheelbase arrangements, as an example.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  6:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have a mix of C2s with the fuel door on the passenger side, and some are placed on the driver side.

Only difference I've noticed is the C2s with the fuel door on the passenger side are equipped with hydraulic brakes and the units equipped with air brakes have the fuel door on the driver side.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  10:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

We have a mix of C2s with the fuel door on the passenger side, and some are placed on the driver side.

Only difference I've noticed is the C2s with the fuel door on the passenger side are equipped with hydraulic brakes and the units equipped with air brakes have the fuel door on the driver side.

Ours are all Hydraulic with fuel door on driver side. I was told it was an order mishap. Who knows
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000