School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 What is the best bus (small and full sized)?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Advisor

2 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  01:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Advisor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This evening I was contacted by an overseas associate in New Zealand working on behalf of a government that wants to buy a fleet of new American school buses (left hand drive, meeting all US safety standards). In the old days, it was simple, but reading this forum, it seems the quality of some manufacturers has slipped.

Which manufacturer(s) should we look at? The full range of sizes will be needed.

Thanks in advance for your views.

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  09:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Full Size: The Lion Bus is pretty nice. It is designed for durability, and has a 7 year body warranty. The bus costs a little more for the extra bonuses it has, though. The size range is 77 passengers, and there might be a 71 or 83 passenger version.

Otherwise, any product from IC Bus (icbus.com) would be pretty good. They come in a large variety of sizes, depending on what model you want. Check out their website for more info. They're at a lower price, and have a trusted powertrain. If you don't want to spend the extra money, IC would be the ideal option.

Small Bus: Collins would be a good option. They come in capacities from around 20 to 30, without a wheelchair lift. A wheelchair bus could hold anything from under 10 to around 20. They were the first company to come out with the Type A bus in the market, so they know what they're doing.

IC or the new Bluebird Type A are both new products that are quite good. Blue Bird outsources their small bus production to Girardin, and their buses are very nice. As said before, IC has a trusted powertrain, but their product is brand new, and might still be at the stage of working out problems, and making many small revisions quite quickly.

Hope you find what you're looking for!
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  09:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Collins & Lion.

I sell both. Very few issues with the Collins products, and I've been selling them for 4 years in the tough NY environment.

Lion Bus is built extremely durable, will last longer, and has a wider 102" body for increased seat room or aisle space. Very practical.

What emissions standards is Australia putting on diesel engines? Euro?

Edited by - RichBusman on 11/22/2011 09:45:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  1:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IC has a trusted powertrain? I think most of the guys who are on here who maintain them would beg to differ!

I agree that the Lion bus is the way to go for quality these days, and I imagine the driver's area will be refined in due time.
Go to Top of Page

Advisor

2 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  8:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Advisor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the good advice. It will be very helpful. I'll let you know what happens.
Go to Top of Page

JerseyDevil

35 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  09:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit JerseyDevil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A lto of people are buying IC CE's...something must be right about tehm!

"10 to Obermayer...we have a transport to Crestwood, 354."
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  12:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JerseyDevil

A lto of people are buying IC CE's...something must be right about tehm!

I'm assuming you haven't read the reads in the Garage section of this forum about all the issues mechanics are having with IC's.

My parish bought IC's and they decided they're not doing that again!
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  3:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I admit Tatum, I've never looked in the Garage section, until now. :-)
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  1:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm starting to think that old ugly C2 might be the way to go. They seem to be the top choice around here and I havent heard a whole lot bad about them. They all have flaws and the emissions seem to be the worst part. Overseas might be able to get around some of the emissions.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  4:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would advise that your Friend in New Zealand do a search of Truck dealers in his area and in New Zealand. I would think both Navistar and Freightliner are represented in New Zealand and sell that same chassis in a left hand drive. I would advise against the Lion Bus and Blue Bird because of available service and parts availability.

Did a search and could only find Freightliner. Navistar had a joint venture with Cat and Inveco but I am not sure if they supply the same chassis in New Zealand. Your only choice might be Freightliner. You really want support in the country of use if it is available.

http://www.freightliner.co.nz/

After doing a bit more research, as I was curious, the chassis Freightliner uses for the C2 is not sold in New Zealand or Australia. It seems they do in fact use a few different kinds of transportation for school purpose including Japanese units like Toyota Coasters and Hyundai EXs.

Here is the Ministry of Education Guidelines on School Transport

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducation/EducationPolicies/Schools/SchoolOperations/SchoolTransport.aspx

And here are some examples of buses.

Looks like a Holden (GM) Isuzi Joint chassis
http://www.blackwellssockburn.co.nz/schoolbus-charter-bus-designline-tiltcab__I.590

Edited by - MorrisV2 on 12/02/2011 2:51:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  09:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good point, MorrisV2. The limited service would be a concern. I'm not sure about what would really be good in that area...
Go to Top of Page

BluebirdFreightliner

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  5:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluebirdFreightliner's Homepage  Send BluebirdFreightliner an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, if new: THOMAS C2 and Bluebird G5
Used: Bluebird Freightliner and Bluebird G5

with Bluebird, ya get alot of bang for your buck.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000