Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 6.7 air compressor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busboy1988

12 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  06:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit busboy1988's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, this was a new one for me, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it...'08 Bluebird FE w/ Cummins 6.7-the air compressor started pumping slow and engaging at erratic intervals. I put a new governor on it-no difference. I pulled the air dryer apart thinking maybe the slow pumping was a plugged cartridge...the dryer purge valve was gummed up with thick black goo...changed valve and cartridge. Next, pulled compressor air intake hose and found black soot. Called Bluebird dealer...they said it is because the egr is being introduced into the intake pipe at the same spot the compressor is pulling its fresh air from so the compressor is sucking up exhaust and it's plugging the valves. Anyone else see this yet??

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  08:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh now THERE is a another shining example of quality engineering. Looking forward to seeing failures in my fleet real soon!
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  2:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are BB & Cummins learning the same lesson DDC & Freightliner learned 10 years ago? [LOL]

Air compressor intake down stream of EGR re-intro? Ain't that like installing your latrine upstream?

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.

Edited by - JustinB on 11/11/2011 3:01:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  08:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JustinB

Are BB & Cummins learning the same lesson DDC & Freightliner learned 10 years ago? [LOL]

Air compressor intake down stream of EGR re-intro? Ain't that like installing your latrine upstream?

LOL

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  1:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My turn! 2010 with 57K on the odometer.
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  03:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Justin, coffee up my nose really helps at 6 AM!

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

LeeB77

6 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  04:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit LeeB77's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes we have been through this. We started going through long air pressure build up times. We sent one in for warranty and they insisted it was a dryer issue. After the run a round we finally convinced them it was the compressor head. They are replacing the compressor heads and everything is back to normal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000