Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Driving with Faulty safety equipement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

imadriver2

19 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2011 :  10:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit imadriver2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, this past year I have worked for a new company. Our old company was EXTREMLY SAFETY ORIENTED. Our busses didn't even leave the lot of they had a headlight out. This new company however is slightly lacking. The first year, I let things slide, telling myself they were just getting into the swing of things. However, nothing has changed.

Our bussed go out with headlights/taillights out..maybe minor, I dont know. But for the 2nd time, i was told that when taking a charter..after school trips/sporting events etc. The Stop arms and Cross Arms do not have to work or even be used. NOW this I have issues with. Many times the group is dropped of on the street, infront of schools, in parking lots, across the street from a location, etc. making it a necessity to use the 4 ways to stop traffic. I take my job seriously and knowing the bus driver is always the first blamed in case of any type of accident, I refuse to use these busses. But other drivers use them.

I am currently driving a bus with (what i feel) is a faulty emergency brake. (you can actually drive it down the road with the Brake ingaged) But How do I refuse to drive my route Everyday until that is taken care of when the mechanic says its ok? I cant afford to quit my job, but this companies lack of safety worries me.

TylerB

19 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  9:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit TylerB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
tell them to fix something that is that critical to get the bus red tagged by state patrolsometimes you have to tell them that if they don't wise up and care the law will...

Edited by - TylerB on 08/28/2011 9:57:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

1stLtDan

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  6:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very simple - Call Your State Police for Help. They will direct you on how to proceed. Have your facts correct and tell them that you do not want to lose your job yet you do not want to see any childen killed. School attorneys cannot protect you or the children if you are driving bus routes with faulty equipmented buses. ALL States have State Law Statutes for school buses. Anyone running faulty equipment and has full knowledge of it is liable. You have cell phone cameras, use them to take pictures and send that to the officer you have spoken with. Any driver taking out faulty equipment is ultimately the one that makes the final decission to drive and that is how your supervisors will fire you and save their own job. Document, document, document your issues. Have a police officer investigate the issues and keep your documentation in a safe place, like your own attorney's office. The attorney will have what you leave with them should it ever come down to you having to prove you tried to address the issue. If you are driving for a contractor follow the State Police agencies advice. If a police officer did not witness your concerns "it never happened." If a child gets killed - it is too late then to save that child. Do something NOW.
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  7:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would refuse to drive the bus. I am no attorney, but I'm sure you would have a legitimate claim against them for forcing you to operate a vehicle that is unsafe for the road.

Personally, I would probably fix the lights myself because I can do it, and sometimes its easier to take a few minutes to change a bulb rather than getting the mechanics involved.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000