VT365 Woes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BUSMAN5

United States
17 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  2:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a little more than 50 VT365 powered Internationals in our bus fleet. We are always experiencing problems like: injectors, egr coolers, egr valves, ipr failures, rocker arm problems, pushrod problems, etc. We definitely stay busy around the shop with these fabulous engines. This is the second time in 2 months we have had a pushrod bend in the same bus. Once on cyl 6 and now on cyl 8. Here is an example of a pushrod from a 2007 VT365. Notice both the bend and the break:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/6015806916_6af02137f3.jpg

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  3:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Usually bent pushrods are a result of engine overspeed. Do these buses have standard transmissions? Could they be getting overcranked going down a steep hill?

Seen it happen more than once on other engines.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

BUSMAN5

United States
17 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  4:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

Usually bent pushrods are a result of engine overspeed. Do these buses have standard transmissions? Could they be getting overcranked going down a steep hill?

Seen it happen more than once on other engines.

They all have Allison autos.
The rocker arms have clips on them that break off and the ball of the pushrod starts to bounce around and wear unevenly and I guess eventually it catches the edge of the rocker arm and bends. We are having tons of issues with these engines. Not just a few, all of them give us problems.
Go to Top of Page

eicsbus

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  5:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
50 more boat anchors,,lol

I.C. NO FUTURE

formally ,,,,wright11
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  6:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the shoe fits.... er anchor.... er engine.... er what ever!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  12:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't you like to meet the guy that thought that those plastic clips for the rockers were a good idea?
Go to Top of Page

BUSMAN5

United States
17 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  4:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Wouldn't you like to meet the guy that thought that those plastic clips for the rockers were a good idea?

Yes. I do believe I could think of a few things to question him about lol. I think I need to start a log of all the issues we have with the VT365 since we have so many. Everyone who doesn't have these engines should feel very lucky. All of ours are out of warranty so this year a big chunk of the budget is going to be tied up in these things.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  6:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not exactly sure what happens to them, but at around 100,000 miles almost all the E450 (6.0L) cutaways at work have to be "rebuilt." I forget how much it costs, but I know its a lot.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 08/08/2011 6:47:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  05:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Personal opinion: I have never worked on or seen what I would call a durable V-8 diesel engine, doesn't matter who manufactured it Cat, Cummins, IH, or whoever. Most as far as I'm concerned were built as throw a ways, but I have always been partial to the inline diesel engines and do my best to keep any V-8 diesel out of my fleet.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  10:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Guys, just wanted to share some info I know about this issue. This is a known problem and there is an updated valve train kit p/n 1876380c91. If you have access to ISIS it is a iKnow document IK1200053. I also have the instructions how to install the kit bus for some reason cant figure out how to attach the file. Hope this helps guys.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  10:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also there have been cases of the lifter retainer clip breaking and the lifter actually spins and eventually wipes out the cam.
Go to Top of Page

BUSMAN5

United States
17 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  2:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bus Tech II

Hello Guys, just wanted to share some info I know about this issue. This is a known problem and there is an updated valve train kit p/n 1876380c91. If you have access to ISIS it is a iKnow document IK1200053. I also have the instructions how to install the kit bus for some reason cant figure out how to attach the file. Hope this helps guys.

Thanks for the info. We recently bought a rocker arm kit that we are robbing parts out of. I will check the p/n to verify tomorrow.

We had two more big vt365 breakdowns yesterday and today. One must have bent a push rod because it is blowing compression out of the intake. Another went down with a bad low pressure oil pump. We took the hood off and drained the coolant today. Fun starts tomorrow!
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  3:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you been in touch with your IC regional reps? IC has given policy adjustments and extended warranties in certain situations.
Go to Top of Page

BUSMAN5

United States
17 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  4:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBusman

Have you been in touch with your IC regional reps? IC has given policy adjustments and extended warranties in certain situations.

Our dealer Rush Truck Center in GA has offered an extended warranty at a specified amount per bus. We are considering this now but nothing has been approved at this point. Not sure about from IC.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  06:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA, I have a low oil pressure one torn apart right now. Something went through the low pressure oil pump and scored the pump up bad. I am in the process of changing the pump and pressure relief valve. I will update if i have do go further.
Go to Top of Page

BUSMAN5

United States
17 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  09:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bus Tech II

HAHAHA, I have a low oil pressure one torn apart right now. Something went through the low pressure oil pump and scored the pump up bad. I am in the process of changing the pump and pressure relief valve. I will update if i have do go further.

We've got one too. Its probably all the metal from the valve train getting into the pump. We always replace the front cover because the metal will score it up and it wont build pressure.
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  7:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what went through the oil pump is most likley the needle bearings from a failed lifter. the vt engines do not like extended oil intervals. if you have a push rod issue you need to verify the lifter and cam are in good shape or you will have another failure.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  07:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the achilles heals of the VT365 is the large quantity of oil (3-4 quarts) that never drains out during an oil change. Just one extended drain interval can start the cycle of damage. It can be even worse for the engine in the Ford applications as that gallon of used oil only gets diluted with 3 3/4 gallons of fresh oil during a change as opposed to the 4 3/4 gallons in the VT365.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 08/11/2011 07:12:04 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000