Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2011 Thomas not going into gear
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DataBustracker

3 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  1:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit DataBustracker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can anyone help with this?
2011 Thomas Bus
This problem was given to me but I have not seen it myself..

Bus will start and run, but will not engage trans.
Apply brake, release parking brake, had 2 'n' on shifter pad, when pressing 'D', D appears on shift pad on left side, but right side still reflects 'N'.

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  2:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lift Bus?
If it is an air brake bus, is thare also a loud air leak @ the firewall?
1.) make sure that the "Lift Power" switch to your left is in the "off" position.
2.) Make sure that the door is completely closed & latched

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

DataBustracker

3 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  08:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit DataBustracker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks I will check that out!
could be the problem, do you know if shifter would display like this in that case
'D', D appears on shift pad on left side, but right side still reflects 'N'.

Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  11:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the manuals that came with the bus that explain the Allison keypad diagnostic features? Is your fluid level correct? Have you checked for trans codes?

http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publications/pubs&FileToGet=OM3751EN.pdf

Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  12:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also...There are certain engine I/O's that if the transmission sees, it will not allow trans to go from N to D or R.
Go to Top of Page

DataBustracker

3 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  2:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit DataBustracker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,
all great info,engine I/O's may be where I need to look...
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  8:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You did say you were applying the brakes (hard) while you selected D?
Are there any trans codes? Holding both arrows at same time?
Any fault codes in LCD on dash? LCD reads diagnostic codes in 2010 and newer.
J1939 test OK? Plug at TCU, Not loose or bent pins?

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  08:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming this is a transit fe or re have the tail lights been worked on lately, or is one of the brake lights not working correctly? EG. on with park but goes out on brake? We had one the plug was installed on the light assy. upside down and the unit would shift into gear once but you had to cycle the key to ever return to forward from neutral. also check the operation of the brake relay in the electrical panel for proper operation. Allison diagnostics is almost a must have to check out the newer transmissions.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  4:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If fast idle switch is in the on position, even if fast idle is off the bus will not go into gear. Having the switch on does not mean the fast idle works. Certain parameters have to be met before fast idle works, so.. if the switch was on but you applied the brakes, fast idle kicks off while switch remains on. Turn the switch to the off position then try it again.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  8:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^ That was an interesting read for me, considering how our TCs with ISBs seem to idle down automatically once the bus is put in gear like clockwork, unless there's something else going on that I don't know about.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  04:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our 2009-2010 EFs don't disengage the high idle when putting the bus in gear, or tapping the brake. It is annoying. The trans inhibit lights also do not work most of the time and aren't labeled. (there is a red light at the top of the shifter)

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 07/20/2011 04:43:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

1busman53725

United States
6 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  09:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check if rear brake lite are coming on. Check the fuses for brake lites or bulbs making contact by the elements causing feed back.
Go to Top of Page

abarbosa

8 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  11:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit abarbosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clean any oil that has accumulated inside the wire harness attached to the back of the transmission (coming from the bus computer). Any oil located inside the harness will cause the transmission to disengage or not function properly.
Go to Top of Page

berkeleydude

17 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  10:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
having same issue with 2013bluebird re...... range inhibit
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  11:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Press on brakes, brake lights working?
Common faults, relay, brake switch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000