Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  1:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well folks... there are now four manufacturers of production conventional school buses! Here are photos of the new 2012 Lion bus on Spartan conventional chassis. Designed for an ultra-long life cycle, the Lion features a lot of revolutionary features such as corrosion-resistant exterior panels, yet maintains the safety of school bus design with an impressive steel inner structure and floor.

More details will follow, see the following for photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.223782944307327.64590.131702786848677

Press Release:

CHARLOTTE, Mich., Jun 16, 2011 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX) -- Spartan Chassis, Inc., a subsidiary of Spartan Motors, Inc. SPAR +1.68% , has executed a supply agreement with bus manufacturer Lion Bus Inc. of Saint-Jerome, Canada. Under the agreement, Spartan Chassis will supply conventional front-engine diesel chassis for use on Type C school buses in the United States and Canada.

Spartan Motors Vice President Dave Snitgen stated, "The top 25 school districts alone covered 397 million route miles in 2010, and 55 percent of the nation's school districts were faced with lower operating budgets. Clearly, there is significant demand for both durability and lower cost of operation. Together with Lion Bus, we have developed an exceptional product which offers considerably improved durability and a lower total cost of ownership, particularly lower maintenance costs."

Spartan's purpose-built chassis design improves durability and extends the duty-cycle of the bus. In addition, each chassis features:

-- 65/66 and 71/72 passenger capacity configurations
-- 2010 EPA-Certified Cummins(R) ISB 6.7L diesel engine with horsepower
offerings of 200, 220 and 250
-- 2500 PTS automatic Allison transmission
-- Up to 31,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight rating
-- 254" or 276" wheelbase
-- Up to 50-degree wheel cut
-- Tilt/telescopic steering column
-- 50,000 psi frame rail strength
-- Five-year chassis and seven-year body warranties
-- Authorized Service Network throughout the U.S. and Canada

"Due to increasing safety regulations and the many financial challenges facing school districts and private contractors, we had to come up with an innovative product development strategy. We placed a premium on durability and lower maintenance costs, and delivered a value proposition that stands apart from anything on the market today. We have produced innovative solutions to very specific problem areas by utilizing materials and designs which stand up to the unique duty cycles found in the school bus market," said Marc Bedard, President of Lion Bus.

The Lion Bus offers a number of product attributes that are unique to the industry and which school districts and private fleet operators will find beneficial.

-- Product lifecycle (bus body): 15 years
-- Wider interior: 96-inch body width enables 18-inch aisle width using
seat widths of 39 inches
-- Safety: Three-point safety belts (lap & shoulder) can be installed
without any capacity loss using seat widths of 42 inches
-- Materials: Bus body is made of fiberglass composite material finished
with gelcoat, a high-quality coating with proven anti-corrosion
properties
-- Roof construction: Bus roof is constructed of one piece (no joints) and
is leak-free
-- Body skirts: Formed using TPO, a durable, anti-corrosive material with a
proven track record in commercial applications
-- Door step-well: Manufactured using a durable one-piece polyethylene that
will not corrode
-- Battery tray/box: Constructed of acid-tolerant polyethylene that will
not corrode
-- Driver visibility: Significant improvements (windshield is 20 percent
larger and hood slope is best in class)

Spartan Motors President and CEO John Sztykiel explained, "This program and our relationship with Lion Bus are the result of our organic growth strategy and support our plan to continue the diversification of our revenue stream across multiple segments within the specialty vehicle market. Spartan's customer-focused approach, along with our speed and agility, allowed us to significantly accelerate this project from development through launch. We look forward to working closely with Lion Bus and supporting their products in the school bus industry."

Chassis will be manufactured at the Spartan Chassis facility in Charlotte, Mich., then shipped to the Lion Bus plant near Montreal for body installation and completion. The buses will be sold directly to dealers, school districts, and school bus contractors in the U.S. and Canada.

About Spartan Chassis

Spartan Chassis, Inc., a subsidiary of Charlotte, Mich.-based Spartan Motors, Inc. SPAR +1.68% , is a world-class leader in the engineering, manufacturing and marketing of chassis and aftermarket parts for emergency-response, recreational vehicle (RV), defense and specialty vehicles. End users recognize and request the Spartan Chassis brand, which consistently delivers superior performance, exceptional safety ratings, and innovations which distinguish us from the competition. Visit Spartan Chassis at www.spartanchassis.com .

About Lion Bus

Lion Bus is managed by a team with extensive experience in manufacturing operations and in the school bus industry. The Lion Bus shareholders consist of the two company founders and a group of seasoned entrepreneurs. This ensures the company's long-term financial stability. Marc Bedard and Camile Chartrand are both visionary entrepreneurs. They have combined their complementary skill sets to develop a cutting-edge vehicle for the North American school bus industry. Visit Lion Bus at www.lionbuses.com .

This news release was distributed by GlobeNewswire, www.globenewswire.com

SOURCE: Spartan Motors, Inc.

Edited by - RichBusman on 07/18/2011 8:09:32 PM

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  1:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my God..That looks amazing!

You know you're getting an awesome bus when the chassis is a Spartan. I can only imagine that bus rides like a dream.
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  1:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I for one love it....Let me digest this images and I'll post more..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/

Edited by - Jared on 06/08/2011 1:02:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

AmTran_Buses

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  1:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School bus on a Spartan Chassis? Wayne RD9000....
Go to Top of Page

SteveCof00

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  2:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit SteveCof00's Homepage  Send SteveCof00 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
While it certainly is an interesting choice of a name...I think it is a step in the right direction.

Corrosion-resistant exterior panels? Does this mark the return of the aluminum-bodied school bus?

I'll have to take a look at the pictures some more to think about this some more, but if this meets with success, this could advance school bus design much like the C2 and the Vision did (nearly a decade ago).

http://schoolbusweb.proboards.com/
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  2:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm very impressed. Looks sharp! Thanks for the pix Rich.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  4:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm extremely impressed as well. Great design, and also a lot of new features that other manufacturers have yet to utilize. Lets just hope this one takes off, unlike the Starcraft (which seems to have been dormant for over a year now...).
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  5:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressed with this bus! Got to see it in person today (spent a little more time on it than I probably should have even).

The team is obviously very proud of this new bus, and they should be. The feedback from everyone there was extremely positive. Just a couple of nit picky things that they're working on.

More photos and a few videos coming soon from my end.
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  5:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In what state is this bus being produced?
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  5:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
YUCK!! I'd hate to see that rolling down the road around here. Call me old school if you want. I'm still not hooked on the C2...

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  5:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus is being manufactured just outside of Montreal, Canada.

On that note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVz3MGHnEMc

There will be other videos coming as well.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  5:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Spartan isn't a company that has a bunch of money to play around with. It's going to be interesting to see if this ever makes it into full production.
Cant say ive ever met a school bus mechanic or operator who cared for a Saprtan chassis.

Buy I guess we will see.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  5:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the Spartan chassis was one of the nicest, most durable chassis?

I can't imagine districts and transportation companies not liking it..
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  5:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're already making sales in Canada according to the CEO I spoke with. They're now moving into the US market. All of their safety and strength testing was done and passed with flying colors.. or maybe I should say colours in this case.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  6:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks (by the plain carling switches) to not be a multiplex body? Gauge cluster the "brain" of the chassis or can we still function without it? I see few exterior fasteners, adhesives?

More questions to follow, inquiring minds want to know.
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  6:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a nice cross between a C2 and the Starcraft to me. The dash, while shocking at first, looks pretty solid. It's great to know that someone is out there making buses to LAST.

I imagine that, with three manufacturers making (or will be making) their conventionals with large, one-piece windshields, we'll be seeing new windshields from IC and 'Bird.

Any prices yet?

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 06/08/2011 6:22:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  6:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK a lot to reply to here. Full disclosure. I will be selling this bus. So if you want to take whatever I say with a grain of salt, feel free.

First off regarding Spartan. They are one of the most respected chassis builders in the US. They own a large market in fire apparatus (which CANNOT break down), recreational vehicles, and specialty vehicles. And both Spartan and Lion are very well financially backed. This bus is in production, and will be here to stay. Many people who ran Spartan chassis with Wayne and Carpenter bodies in years past were happy with the chassis and unhappy with the bodies.

As for the bus itself, the exterior panels are all composite. The panels are fiberglass. Not fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP). Real fiberglass and resin, made on a mold to exacting standards. There is a full steel roll cage, full steel floor with very strong crossmembers. There is no luan or plywood used in roof construction or sidewall construction. All rubrails are steel.

The skirts are plastic and reinforced with steel supports. There is also a steel rubrail built into the bottom. These skirts can be replaced in minutes and since skirts are one of the most commonly repaired items on a bus, this will save operators a lot of cost.

The interior panels are steel. Above the windows on the inner structure is a very impressive steel shield running the entire length of the passenger compartment. This is a very unique feature.

The stepwell is poly. The battery box is acid-proof poly. These are two areas of huge cost for operators in northern areas.

Keep shooting questions and I will do my best to answer them. I must say, though, that I am really excited to see a new company enter the arena. Is the bus more expensive? Yes. Is it of the utmost quality and long term durability? Yes.
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  6:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBusman

OK a lot to reply to here. Full disclosure. I will be selling this bus. So if you want to take whatever I say with a grain of salt, feel free.

First off regarding Spartan. They are one of the most respected chassis builders in the US. They own a large market in fire apparatus (which CANNOT break down), recreational vehicles, and specialty vehicles. And both Spartan and Lion are very well financially backed. This bus is in production, and will be here to stay. Many people who ran Spartan chassis with Wayne and Carpenter bodies in years past were happy with the chassis and unhappy with the bodies.

That's what I thought..
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  6:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, here is the steel panel that runs full length above the windows and is attached to the inner cage.

Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  6:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How will the price compare to the other 3 conventionals on the market? Looks like it wouldn't cost as much as the others, and if the quality is great I bet we'll be seeing some updated BB and IC offerings soon in order to compete.

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  6:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I'm thinking of it, the speaker and dome light does not just hang in the plastic, they're mounted to that metal plate with a special bracket, which means no rattles or bouncy panels what-so-ever.
Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  7:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to add my thoughts on the bus..
Just from the pictures I have seen I am really impressed. It has a great design and seems to have a lot of quality features that are both safe and long-lasting. The drivers area looks pretty basic, but that may be to keep price down. I'm excited to see this bus hit the states and hopefully spur some competition from the big 3.

One thing I noticed and don't love is the hinges for the emergency exit doors. Hidden hinges would look MUCH better and would probably last longer.

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  7:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus is priced accordingly for the technology used. It's a more expensive build process to make a composite-skinned bus. The cost is made up over a longer lifecycle.

Districts here in NY typically are keeping buses 8-10 years, and in that lifetime the following are common repairs:

- Stepwells

- Battery boxes

- Skirts

- Roof caps

- Emergency doors

- Crossmembers cracking

- Paint

The other unique thing about the Lion bus is that it is not painted. All of the color is gel coat, which is part of the fiberglass/resin material and plastic. This results in great gloss retention, and if it fades it'll shine up great with a quick buff.
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusCollector

5 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  7:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusCollector's Homepage  Send SchoolBusCollector a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Will the bus be at the NAPT trade show this year?
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  7:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will get an answer on that for you.

The next two scheduled events that I know of are the NYAPT Trade Show in Saratoga Springs, NY on July 18th and the NYHMA Trade Show in Syracuse, NY on July 21st.
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  8:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like it a lot. I sure hope it makes it in this market! Maybe it will have the people at IC rethinking things..seeing as their buses start to see rust after just one year in service..
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  10:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This has probably already been asked, but when are we expecting this bus to "hit the market?" I think you told me they are already taking orders, but as a dealer, when do you think it will be widely produced?

Also, do you think that this being from a brand new bus company (not one of the big 3) will affect how it sells?

Last question. Probably dumb, but I assume this bus can be customized to fit many different states specifications (such as yellow window posts, black out schemes, backlit destination signs, etc.). I know you said its being marketed toward northern states, but do you also expect it to sell down south?

Thanks for all the info.
Go to Top of Page

schoolbuses2007@aol.com

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  11:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Send schoolbuses2007@aol.com an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great Looking Bus!!! Now all they need to do for this bus is make a Die cast model of it. I would buy it.!
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  12:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are already orders in Canada for the bus, in addition to what is ordered for dealer demos/stock in the US.

I'm sure there will be people who hestitate to buy because the bus is new, but at the same time there are many frustrated people, especially in New York, over how poorly many existing bodies are built for the climate. The bus will meet a number of states specs, including NY who requires illuminated signs, and some customers who want yellow rubrails, etc.

I expect the bus to be looked at all over the country. It's a great quality vehicle, and has other advantages such as being a wider body which allows more room for students either in aisle or seat space. With three-point safety belts likely becoming required at some point, Lion will be well-positioned having a wider bus for my room. Composite panels will make the bus longer lasting anywhere!

Edited by - RichBusman on 06/09/2011 12:51:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  12:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.lionbuses.com is also live now. I believe they will also be updating it in the coming weeks with even more details.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  3:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's totally interesting! Spartan has always had a great chassis for the fire apparatus, and I'm excited to see it making it's way back into the school bus market. From the looks of the body, I wouldn't be surprised to see the body outlive the chassis finally! Interesting idea with it not being painted too. Clearly a bus built with the cost of ownership in mind, even if the purchase price is a bit higher. Anyone with a brain can determine that the cost of ownership can far outweigh the purchase price.

Rich, with it being made of fiberglass, I'd imagine it's notably lighter in weight than a comparable bus. Wouldn't the fuel savings be enough to sell this bus to any districts in a fuel crisis right now? I'd like to see how the fuel economy compares to even some of the new hybrid school bus designs available on the market today.

On a side note, am i the only one that can't stop thinking it looks like a Superior with that large fenderette around the back wheel?

=
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  5:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that the weight is actually comparable to typical conventional buses, since there is a very aggressive and strong inner steel structure.

When I saw the renderings, I too immediately thought of Superior around the wheelwells.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  7:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just wish they would build normal looking buses again. I like the ideas of composite body panels and the simple driver's area. Thats all you really need and it looks to be mechanic friendly. I personally just dont care for these Euro style buses.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

AllAmerican

17 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  8:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit AllAmerican's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't see any hand rails at the entrance door. Maybe this is because of the angle of the picture, or maybe they are intergrated somehow?
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  8:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were not installed on this particular bus. It was only a demo/test unit that was undergoing modifications. Of course the production models will have them. The bus pictured also lacks reflective tape, some of the lights don't work, the door was not hooked up to run, nor did it have cross views. I tell you though, the guys behind this bus really took all of the feedback whether it be positive OR negative in a very positive way. I can't recall anybody having anything bad to say about the bus. Any doubt they had was because it was something new. I think this bus will be great.

Edited by - Kodie on 06/09/2011 8:25:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  03:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
is there an option for wheelchair lift?

is the white roof optional or standard?

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000