Florida School Buses (questions)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Formerly Known As 80-RE4

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2011 :  05:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am from Massachusetts, visiting Ft. Myers, Florida. I've seen mostly AmTran/IC rear engine buses, as well as some front engine buses. I was not close enough to them to see if they had any stickers on them.

Do Florida buses have stickers like Massachusetts does? IE: Unlawful to pass while red lights are flashing, keep back 100 feet, this bus stops at all RR crossings?

I also noticed that it appears that the buses here always have their white strobe lights on. Do they keep the strobe lights on only when children are on the bus or do they keep them on all of the time?

Another question, not related to school buses but to city/public buses. As they stop, a lighted sign on the back of the bus comes on that says STOP. Are you supposed to stop for public/city buses or are you allowed to go around them?

Thank you
80-RE4

Edited by - Formerly Known As 80-RE4 on 05/17/2011 05:05:09 AM

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2011 :  11:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The strobe lights on Florida buses are wired to the ignition, if the key is on, the strobe light is on. Lee District Schools operates about 875 buses, many IC/AmTran RE's, but also many newer model CE's, some older model IC FE's, and some Thomas Internationals. They're ordering strictly CE's now because of the heating and cooling issues, and serviceability. As far as stickers go, they say "STOP WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH" somewhere on the rear and I've seen many of them with a RR crossing sticker as well. My grandfather lives in Ft. Myers right behind one of Lee Districts larger yards, and I took the time to go over and meet with the director of transportation for Lee Schools. Very nice staff and an incredible facility!
Go to Top of Page

DadeCountybus

United States
18 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2011 :  2:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kodie has answered much of your questions. Not all buses have strobe lights wired to the ignition though. The fact that strobe lights are on are probably related to policy. I can assure you that drivers in my district do not have the strobe lights operating all the time. As a matter of fact the FDOE trans recommends that strobe lights only be used during times of reduced visibility. As far as the public buses, I can't answer definitively, but I would venture to say that your safe to go around.
Go to Top of Page

Formerly Known As 80-RE4

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2011 :  2:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. It's pretty neat to see the buses with the strobes but in a way it makes it look like the buses are experiencing an emergency and are calling for help. Wouldn't be a bad idea for school buses to have some kind of system like that. For instance, the city transit buses where I am from in Massachusetts can light up a sign displaying "Call 911". Someday, it wouldn't be a bad idea if school buses used the same procedure.

I was at the Shell Factory off of US 41 in N Ft Myers today and saw a very old conventional school bus that displayed Lee District Schools on the sides. It had a white roof. The bus looked very old. Do you know if there is an age limit of the fleet of buses around here in Ft Myers?

SBF member since 2002. Schoolbus driver for 8 years (01-09). Formerly Known As: 96AmtranRe, LaidlawdriverMassachusetts, 80RE-4. Route Buses driven: 96,97,00 Amtran RE, AARE, Thomas FE.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2011 :  3:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info about the strobe lights. I know Lee District has them hard wired, as do numerous others. I did see a few that weren't running here and there but I had assumed they were just burnt out.

Not sure of an age limit, I know they have a whole row of "older" buses, that are painted various colors, some still NSBC.. not sure of their purpose though. That's at the yard off of Ben Pratt Parkway by South Tamiami Trail.

I was at the shell factory recently as well, cool place! Where abouts in Ft. Myers are you staying if you don't mind?

Edited by - Kodie on 05/17/2011 3:55:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Formerly Known As 80-RE4

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  02:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kodie, sorry for the late reply. I am staying in North Ft. Myers right near Del Prado Bl North off of US 41. Yesterday I saw a couple of buses that did not have the strobes flashing. The weather has been beautiful here. Not too too hot!

SBF member since 2002. Schoolbus driver for 8 years (01-09). Formerly Known As: 96AmtranRe, LaidlawdriverMassachusetts, 80RE-4. Route Buses driven: 96,97,00 Amtran RE, AARE, Thomas FE.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  10:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely some very beautiful weather there! Hopefully you have some nice pictures to share at some point! Love the Florida specs.
Go to Top of Page

floridabuses108

4 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  05:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit floridabuses108's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In North Florida (Tallahassee), Leon County Schools requires anytime the bus is on the road that the Strobe and Headlights be on. Also, all Florida buses are spec'd the same. On the rear door they will say "stop when red lights flashing". Buses older than 1999 do not say that on the back. No stickers are on them that say Railroad Crossing. The only sticker you'll find is "How's my driving?" And the phone number. Florida requires school buses be retired at 200,000 miles pending there is money to replace it. If no money, the bus should be put as a "Spare".
Go to Top of Page

busmaster

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  2:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no requirement for buses to replaced at 200,000 miles. Where did you hear that? Dade and Broward counties have a great deal of buses that have exceeded 200,000 miles in their lifetime.
Go to Top of Page

busmaster

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  2:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, the "How's my driving" sticker is purely optional by district, not a required spec.
Go to Top of Page

floridabuses108

4 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  07:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit floridabuses108's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't say the "How' My Driving?" sticker was a required spec. However, Leon County Schools and many other districts have a policy that once a bus reaches 12 years of age or 200,000 Miles, it is to be taken off of regular route service and used as spare or replaced, pending there is money in the budget to replace. And yes, in Wakulla County, I rode a bus with 298,000 Miles, but it was a spare. I also rode on one, still being used as a spare today with 308,000 miles.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  2:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish we could get NY buses to last that long. We're lucky if they're still in one piece before 80,000 miles with all of the road chemicals they use here.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  2:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bus, a 2000 Thomas Freightshaker, finished the school year with 209,858 miles. I'll probably get it next year, too. (Pinellas County, FL)

Edited by - Sam on 06/16/2011 2:10:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

KFoxnWPB

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  06:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit KFoxnWPB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Palm Beach County FL, we have over 1400 district owned school buses...all of which are transit-style and are air conditioned. 90% are rear engine, while the other 10% are front engine and are used for special needs transportation.

Anyway, the strobe light on our buses is connected to a driver operated switch. None of the buses have it wired to the ignition. It is up to each district as to when it is to be used. In Palm Beach County, policy is to have it on whenever the bus is in motion.

As far as rear lettering, all of our buses 1999 and newer have "STOP WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH". None have anything relating to railroad crossings or "How's my driving".

Palm Beach District schools used to replace their fleet after 12 years of service, regardless of mileage...though they're now looking into maintaining the newer buses to a 15 year life. There is no 200,000 mile rule that I know of. We have some school-based buses that have 225,000 + miles on them.

Also, relating to your question about city/public buses. That sign is solely to notify traffic that the bus is stopping so you don't rear end it. You can go around and pass a stopped city bus.

**INTERESTING NOTE**We do have about 20 or so school buses in our district school bus fleet (all are 2002 BB All Americans) that have that LED sign. It is centered underneath the rear emergency window. The sign flashes "CAUTION - STOPPING" when the amber lights are operated. When the red lights and stop arms are operated, the LED sign then changes to "STOP - DO NOT PASS". My guess is they were some sort of new prototype being tested or a comp from Blue Bird. I've not seen this on any other school bus anywhere else.
Go to Top of Page

KFoxnWPB

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  06:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit KFoxnWPB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floridabuses108

In North Florida (Tallahassee), Leon County Schools requires anytime the bus is on the road that the Strobe and Headlights be on. Also, all Florida buses are spec'd the same. On the rear door they will say "stop when red lights flashing". Buses older than 1999 do not say that on the back. No stickers are on them that say Railroad Crossing. The only sticker you'll find is "How's my driving?" And the phone number. Florida requires school buses be retired at 200,000 miles pending there is money to replace it. If no money, the bus should be put as a "Spare".

If I'm not mistaken, all Miami-Dade district school buses are spec'd with a sticker on the rear that reads "This vehicle stops at all railroad crossings"
Go to Top of Page

jbp

3 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  4:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Miami-Dade county consumer services department says i have to have
"this vehicle stops at all railroad crossings". Where do they get this statute? I can't seem to find the specifics at the state level or national. They didn't approve it because the lettering was too small. They say it has to be 6 inches, but all the busses i see are more like two inches. Any advice?
Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  6:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like they are really being tough on you...
Just remember that 6" from your car being a bus looks a lot smaller than 6" up close. It still surprises me when I look at a 7" stop or turn signal housing up close and realize how much bigger they seem when you aren't looking from far away.

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000