Kindergarten student hurt by first-grader on bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  10:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THIS STORY DEMONSTRATES ONE OF THE MOST HORRIFIC EXAMPLES OF PASSING THE BUCK.

Kindergarten student hurt by first-grader on school bus

By Evamarie Socha

Dec 24, 2010
The Daily Item

MIDDLEBURG, PA — A kindergartner was choked so badly by a first-grader that ligature marks were left on his neck, and the next day, three front teeth loosened in the incident had fallen out, his mother says.

Wendy Apple, of Mount Pleasant Mills, says a 6-year-old attacked her son, 5, on a Midd-West school bus on Dec. 2, using the strap of a backpack, and slamming his head repeatedly against a window. Her concerns have been heard by Gregg Wetzel, principal of Perry-West Perry and Middleburg elementary schools, state police at Selinsgrove, Snyder County District Attorney Michael Piecuch and the state Department of Education. ...

Click Here for full story

Posted in the hostle workplace thread.

Stop Violence on the school buses!
Stop bullying and other violence - Complete with excellent video! According to the American Public Health Association, the school bus is the second most common place for bullying to occur (the first is on the playground). This Fast Track slide presentation can help stop bullying on the school buses. Includes class handouts. Free to use in self-study, for class training, and for presentation to the school board. Click Here for Link (See Post # 14)

Edited by - JK on 03/22/2011 6:18:01 PM

flower route

24 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  05:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit flower route's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Supervisor has been in the school bus business for thirty years in a suburban Detroit area school district before joining our team and has never seen the level of violance being shown by Kindergartners and Pre K's as she has seen lately.

I personally have had more bus suspensions for K's and Pre K's this year than I have had Middle and High school students. I try to talk to the Parents about their children before I write them up but all I get is the "Deer in the headlights" look from a lot of them.

When I do write them up many just blame the bus driver for not keeping the bus under control and want me to put their Kid in the front seat. Between Head Start, Pre K and K's, I have 14 kids. Now I ask you how can I get them all in the front seat?

Because of a tight budget I have 101 Chidren assigned to my 78 passenger bus. Luckily they do not all ride at the same time and so far I have not had to leave any behind. I have offered some parents the opportunity to ride with me some day but they do not want any part of that.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  08:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Apples declined to file charges against the 6-year-old boy" ~Now that's a classic line right there.

Your 5 year old child comes home from school with the type of injuries and marks that the story describes and wont/cant tell you what happened and you don't take him DIRECTLY to the emergency room? Really? At this point you don't know if another kid did it, or an adult, or even self-inflicted. You don't know if there is any major internal damage or bleeding. Let's just sleep on it!

I'm just saying.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 12/25/2010 08:19:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  1:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

"The Apples declined to file charges against the 6-year-old boy" ~Now that's a classic line right there.

Your 5 year old child comes home from school with the type of injuries and marks that the story describes and wont/cant tell you what happened and you don't take him DIRECTLY to the emergency room? Really? At this point you don't know if another kid did it, or an adult, or even self-inflicted. You don't know if there is any major internal damage or bleeding. Let's just sleep on it!

I'm just saying.

And you said it on target and without the PC garbage and the indifference toward the abused child the story seems to present. With high back seats and a loud unruly bus environment it is possible the bus driver could miss this event happening just a few seats behind him or her. What astonished me about this story is that everyone including the parent passed the buck. A child comes home with all these injuries and no emergency visit to the hospital? What's with that? I would believe most of us here and most parents anywhere with a child coming home in the described condition would be on it in a flash demanding first to be informed what the heck happened and second to make darn sure the kid that did it was dealt with. (jk)

Stop Violence on the school buses!
Stop bullying and other violence - Complete with excellent video! According to the American Public Health Association, the school bus is the second most common place for bullying to occur (the first is on the playground). This Fast Track slide presentation can help stop bullying on the school buses. Includes class handouts. Free to use in self-study, for class training, and for presentation to the school board.
Go to Top of Page

flower route

24 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  4:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit flower route's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Supervisor has advised many parents to file charges with the Police. Like these folks, most decline to do so. It is so much easier to just blame the bus driver. So of the ones who have followed through have had to withdraw the charges when the truth was known.

I have a few parents that complain to me about some ones child picking on their child and would I put their child in the front seat so I can keep an eye on him. Yeah right. As if I do not have enoogh to do keeping that yellow "tin Can" out of the ditches plus keeing an eye on 77 other kids.

Some parents I have asked them to just write out something for me so i can give it to my supervisor and we can act. They want no part of that. They just want me to stick my neck out, make accusations and then stick it to me when they are asked to respond. Kind of put us bus drivers in the "Catch 22" situation. But I guess that is why we get paid the "BIG BUCK'S". Where else can you get so much abuse for so little pay????
Go to Top of Page

SteveCof00

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  8:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit SteveCof00's Homepage  Send SteveCof00 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
While it is true that "kids will be kids", when they start to strangle each other on the bus, it is time to make some changes. If a child is acting out that severely that early, they need professional help; we don't need any more serial killers out there in the making.

While conventional wisdom would suggest that pressing charges would be a good idea...keep in mind that this is a first-grader attacking a kindergartener; realistically, there's a certain age before kids are introduced to the juvenile justice system (otherwise known as handcuffs and the back seat of a Ford Crown Victoria).

http://schoolbusweb.proboards.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000